Lagging Issues with Facebook Live

blueaster

Hi there! When doing a Facebook Live broadcast streaming with OBS, all my specs look fine (I think - I am pretty new to this), but there is quite a lag between what I am seeing through OBS directly and what I am seeing on Facebook Live. Sometimes I appear to freeze on Facebook Live as well. Is there any way to get it so what's showing on Facebook Live is actually "live" and in real-time? I have attached the log file from my latest session. Please let me know if you need more info as I am not super confident with the lingo and if I am describing my issue clearly. Thanks so much!! So appreciated :)

Attachments

• 2021-03-31 18-38-50.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 18

Lawrence_SoCal

speed of light is not your friend... it isn't that fast
And whatever you send to Facebook (or any streaming provider) gets re-encoded, sent out to their content delivery network, and then out to devices. A 15second to 1 minute delay is not uncommon and under 30 sends is generally good (but is more receiving device and network specific, than whatever you are streaming and its settings... for the most part).
I've seen different smartphones on different carriers sitting next to each other, with both having a strong signal, have a significant timing difference between them. And the smartphone having a lot less lag than the preview in FB's /Live/Producer

If you want real-time, don't use a free service (and a whole bunch of other expensive items, though you can probably skip the satellite broadcast truck we've used at work for company town halls)
A lag of some amount is normal/expected for 'live streaming' To get into the single digit seconds realm gets REAL expensive, as far as I'm aware. For those that really need less lag, what some will do is use OBS to composite the video, then output that to something like WebEx, Teams, Zoom, etc

blueaster

Thanks Lawrence for the helpful info! I think I might play around with pre-recording the video and then streaming it.

Lawrence_SoCal

Thanks Lawrence for the helpful info! I think I might play around with pre-recording the video and then streaming it.
The typical reasons for doing that (record, upload later) would be:
- inadequate bandwidth to livestream
- or post-processing (ie editing) of video before upload

I live stream (720p) and record (1080p, in case I want at higher res clip section of the video - best of segment, etc)

I recognize that there is a delay between when I send the video, and when others will watch it. And then more dealy until they can comment. And when people see the video will vary regardless of whether livestreamed or uploading a video and streaming it. that variance has nothing to do with the video source, and I'm not aware of anything on the free content-delivery-network type systems that you can do to significantly effect this.. you just have to accept this as a state of the tech

So what are you trying to accomplish, by recording, and uploading later? is it being unable to account for timing difference when people comment? realize that timing difference I mentioned. Even if you watch your own stream 'at same time' as everyone else there will be a timing variance