Question / Help Lagging IOS camera

gutshot1

My first stream last night but the only issue was a lagging camera from my iphone X using the OBS camera app. It was so laboured and slow. Where was the lag coming from? The mac (macbook pro 2014) internet (virgin 5000mb) or somehwere else. Had to end up turning off the camera and using the web cam on my mac.

garrettw22

I think this is a new issue... ive been streaming while using my iphone x as a webcam for atleast a month now. And suddenly the last few days its pretty impossible. Its lagging so bad it atleast 3-5 seconds behind. Plus it gets to a point where it lags so bad the camera freezes putting my phone into sleep mode

Narcogen

The app and plugin have not been updated in over a year. Both iOS and OBS have been updated multiple times since then.

Clubmesha

I think this is a new issue... ive been streaming while using my iphone x as a webcam for atleast a month now. And suddenly the last few days its pretty impossible. Its lagging so bad it atleast 3-5 seconds behind. Plus it gets to a point where it lags so bad the camera freezes putting my phone into sleep mode
Hello!!! I am having the same issue with iPhone 11. So frustrating. Following thread. My i0s Camera is set to 352 x 288 /30 FPS. Which brought the lag down from 10 sec to 5. & my Output Resolution in OBS is 640 x 512. I’m running the lowest settings and still having a 5 sec delay.

Clubmesha

The app and plugin have not been updated in over a year. Both iOS and OBS have been updated multiple times since then.
Interesting. Do you suggest another app with more updates plugins? I’ve tried Kinon which has ads, EpocCam which still has 5 second delay but LOVE the camera quality, and the internal webcam on my computer thru PhotoBooth....that’s the best option with no delay, but also crappy video quality compared to the iPhone 11. Any help is appreciated!! I want to give my audience the best quality. Feeling held back :( thanks in advance!

Clubmesha

Interesting. Do you suggest another app with more updates plugins? I’ve tried Kinon which has ads, EpocCam which still has 5 second delay but LOVE the camera quality, and the internal webcam on my computer thru PhotoBooth....that’s the best option with no delay, but also crappy video quality compared to the iPhone 11. Any help is appreciated!! I want to give my audience the best quality. Feeling held back :( thanks in advance!
Oh also tried an online url situation called instant webcam to avoid the computer having to. Decode... and even that was choppy. Honestly the choppiest. Hmmm

thecovenantchild

I'm having the same lag issue. I have OBS Camera running on my iPad Air & iPhone 8 concurrently, and I've had this setup for 2 weeks. The iPhone 8 mysteriously started lagging last night, but the iPad is still perfectly fine. Resetting the iphone device connection in OBS seemed to fix it temporarily (i.e. for a few minutes).

Kellamnyc

My first stream last night but the only issue was a lagging camera from my iphone X using the OBS camera app. It was so laboured and slow. Where was the lag coming from? The mac (macbook pro 2014) internet (virgin 5000mb) or somehwere else. Had to end up turning off the camera and using the web cam on my mac.
Same issue here. Terrible. The iOS app needs update terribly bad. It is unusable on my set up. And my computer set up should have zero problem. This came out of blue forcing me to use single shot stream and only the built in Mac book pro FaceTime cam

daishaalex

I'm having the same lag issue. I have OBS Camera running on my iPad Air & iPhone 8 concurrently, and I've had this setup for 2 weeks. The iPhone 8 mysteriously started lagging last night, but the iPad is still perfectly fine. Resetting the iphone device connection in OBS seemed to fix it temporarily (i.e. for a few minutes).
I am also facing this same issue on my iPhone X may your method will solve my problem.I want to take try.

steraji

Add me to the list of users with this problem. I have an iPhone 8+. The image quality is also very poor, so I wouldn't think it's a case of needing to lower my resolution. NDI works from going from PC to PC. I've tried iVCam, APowerMirror and EpocCam with no issues.

navy93

Just wondering if anyone has seen an improvement in the past month. I am only seeing a bad lag when using NDI and wifi, but for the USB connection the lag ranges from about .25 to 1.0 seconds. Wireless was not as bad on iPhone X, but USB is about the same on all 3 iOS devices I have tried.

benjamin.stary

Same problem. I use the Iphone SE (1. gen, 14.0.1 iOS). When I've bought the OBS camera app (three weeks ago) and I've tested the connection, it worked perfectly, but currently I'm live streaming and it's lagging horribly.

Paul R

Ok this is what I did. I am using my iPhone 6 front camera. I bought iDevices-cam app (app store). After normal installation per the instructions by the app itself, I found the camera was lagging. But when double-clicking the iDevices cam inside OBS, you'll find the latency settings, which are Low and Normal. When changing it to Normal, and then back to Low, the lagging was very much gone. I have to do this every time I want to use the iPhone's camera. Also if your built-in webcam is lagging and blurry, chances are it is operating above it's real resolution (by software engineering they make it appear as being "HD" when that is not really the case). In my case I have a 1280x720 HD webcam. It was very blurry. But when I selected 800x600, the lagging stopped and the blurry was gone! Of course I lost the HD ratio, so what I did was to crop from the top and the bottom of the image by using the Transform > edit transform option. There I cropped the top and the bottom of the webcam image being displayed. I had to crop evenly top and bottom until the camera image was covering the whole screen space, making it 'HD-sized'. Of course the quality is not the same but the lagging and blurriness are gone.

maniak666

I had the same problem. What solved it for me was connecting the iPhone directly to the MacBook. Going through a dongle/hub/connectbar/whatever3rdpartydeviceinthemiddle delayed the picture significantly. Hope this helps some.

Jen_and_Berry

Hey All - I had the same issue with iPhone 12 Pro Max. I was trying to do 4k at 60 frames and I had to bring that done. at 1080 30 frames. There might be 5-10ms lag or something like that - noticeable if you really pay attention. I have a very solid machine so idk, maybe there is a batter way to connect than the lightning cable?

Last edited:

Bern123

I use EpoCam as my webcam and get delays on a Windows 10 laptop.
Setting the camera process to a higher priority gets rid of the delay for me, maybe something similar would work for you.

In windows, go to task manager / details tab
then right-click on the process that runs your camera app (e.g. kinonisvc.exe for epocam),
then set priority / high.
It should then trump most other processes, and keep up.

I found this on tenforums, search for "set CPU process priority".