Lag in minecraft when OBS is running in the background

Chub000

Hello guys,

Recently, I ran into some problems regarding OBS.

Whenever I am playing Minecraft everything is fine. My FPS is good, my game is running smoothly and everything is just completely fine. However, whenever I run OBS in the background (for recording), my game starts stuttering and feels really laggy, eventhough I have the same FPS in game: 500 +. In other words, I am having the same FPS as without opening OBS, but my game feels less smooth when OBS is running. It is really choppy, laggy and definitely NOT smooth.

For the people who play a lot of Minecraft / Hypixel related games: I have used both Badlion Client and Lunar Client, and they both give me the same problem. My task manager says that my Minecraft is taking quite some GPU, Memory and CPU usage. However, I think that my PC specs should easily run both Minecraft and OBS.

I have done anything to resolve this problem. I have tried multiple OBS settings, I tried to run OBS with both my GPU and CPU, I tried to allocate more and less ram to Minecraft and I have recently upgraded my GPU.

So my question is: How is it possible that my game feels really bad and not smooth whenever I am running OBS in the background / recording with it, although I nearly have the same FPS when I am NOT running OBS. The FPS isn't the problem, it's the choppyness and the game not running smoothly. Moving in Minecraft feels really bad.

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/eB2Y0f8uWo2G12lx
PC specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz 39 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-28)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B150M-C D3 (LGA1151) 39 °C

Graphics
SMS27A350H (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (Gigabyte) 35 °C

Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 30 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA) 26 °C

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

Audio
Logitech G430 Gaming Headset

Any help would be highly appreciated <3

D

Deleted member 294258

I have this same exact problem too, I notice though after recording for awhile the choppiness goes away.

deadcoolpanda

Same, but in my case i dont think its lag but its frames dropping, I get around 2-5 frames whenever I record Minecraft gameplay. It looked like this in the recording too, and I'm not sure how to fix this

Ruzbi

28 april 2021, still have the exact same issue. There is no FPS drop AT ALL, but the screen itself becomes very laggy with obs in the background. No applicable solution yet.

complexity

As of may 13, I tried minimizing obs and alt tabbing to Minecraft which worked beautifully. Another solution would be to play on borderless/windowed which also fixed the problem for me, but I have my taskbar locked due to not activating windows yet, so I would recommend the first option. :)

Ruzbi

hey im the guy on 28 april 2021, update, solved EVERYTHING with minimizing obs and other windows. found out in the process that other windows (chrome, explorer, your client such as lunar client or blc, vlc, and really, ALL windows) caused the same issue if they are open and not minimized, and can be fixed by minimizing them as well.

tldr; minimize everything, then alt tab to minecraft

MashTwo

hey im the guy on 28 april 2021, update, solved EVERYTHING with minimizing obs and other windows. found out in the process that other windows (chrome, explorer, your client such as lunar client or blc, vlc, and really, ALL windows) caused the same issue if they are open and not minimized, and can be fixed by minimizing them as well.

tldr; minimize everything, then alt tab to minecraft
How do you fix the problem? On windows