Question / Help Keyboard loses power when OBS MP is streaming

GamerVsGF

This seems to be a particular odd problem, but whenever I have OBS MP streaming to Twitch then my keyboard (Steelseries Apex) will eventually cycle on and off and need to be unplugged then plugged back in to begin working again. This doesn't happen when OBS MP is only open or recording.

It happens ~80% of the time I stream, but on rare occasions it will not.

Attachments

• 2015-02-16 14-27-32.txt
    5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
I see you have a video capture device in your log. What kind of capture device? What resolution is it set to?

GamerVsGF

I'm using a Sorbent 4-Port USB 3.0 hub to connect the Elgato HD60, Blue Yeti and Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 to my PC. I thought it might be an issue with the hub drawing too much power, but the keyboard problem only exists when I initiate a stream from OBS. I can have OBS running and recording with the same setup without any problems.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Ah, the c920 might be doing it if it's running at 1920x1080. If you can either lower its resolution or change it to use MJPEG it should work better.

GillyMoMo

Also I would advise not running the Elgato on that USB hub either that can also cause you problems later on down the road to. If memory serves it uses 300ma or so.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
This is most likely due to USB overload or something; this is something that happened rarely to some people with the original version of OBS as well. Try switching the port on your keyboard, and if you have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on your computer try switching it between those or vise versa.

I say "USB overload" because I actually don't have a better term to describe it, I'm not entirely sure what it is but it seems to be a motherboard issue, I have the same issue with my motherboard that did *not* happen with my previous motherboard with the same devices, and when I switch a device from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 ports for example the device is no longer interfered with, if that makes sense. So almost assuredly a motherboard design flaw (I think), or DPC (deferred procedure call) issue. Generally a hardware/driver issue rather than software issue.