Question / Help I've read that Window Capture will always result in an output file that stutters/skips frames.

denumerable

I've read that Window Capture will always result in an output file that stutters/skips frames.

Is there anyway around this?

I previously streamed with Window-only capture (I don't like showing all my NSFW stuff via Display Capture), so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong now.

Display capture generates a perfect output.

Attachments

• 2019-02-18 17-50-02.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 7

Narcogen

WIndow capture is the least performant method on MacOS, yes.

You can set a display capture to be cropped to a specific window.

Narcogen

There is no v23 for MacOS. If and when there is I do not expect it to improve MacOS window capture performance, no.

denumerable

Oh snap. I thought it was in development alongside the other versions. Lacking development resources?

Anything I can do to help?

Narcogen

Full disclosure: I am not a developer of OBS or anything else, just an enthusiastic user.

I don't know that there will or will not be v23 of OBS for MacOS (I assume there will be) I just know there isn't one available right now.

Windows capture being non-performant on MacOS has been explained to me as being inherent to how the MacOS windowing system works, and has existed as long as the cross-platform version of OBS has. None of the announced improvements for v23 are related to that, as far as I know.

AFAIK OBS has a pretty small development team, yes, and I believe I've read at least once in the past that they don't have Mac hardware; they're basically writing cross-platform code and having a remote build system compile it.

Making the issue worse is the fact that Apple's changes in Mojave crippled some things that OBS depends on in MacOS (syphon, the equivalent of game capture on Windows) and is poised to deprecate the entire display technology that OBS uses on MacOS (OpenGL) in favor of their own framework (Metal).

OpenGL won't be going away anytime very soon, but the entire situation makes me question what the future is for OBS on MacOS.