Question / Help Issues with Soundflower with Yosemite

kitcatbass

I've been searching for an audio capture alternative to soundflowerbed but nothing seems to work as good. Seriously, wavtap can capture but whats the point when I can't even monitor my own audio through headphones? Has anyone found a solution to streaming on mac with Yosemite? It's been a couple weeks so I'm hoping I'm not the only one with these problems.

Hey @kitcatbass,

I've been using Soundflower for a long while and it's been working great on Yosemite. For the stream, within OBS, ensure that Soundflower (2ch) is selected under Desktop Audio. Also, in your system preferences, you'll have to change the output to Soundflower (2ch).

If you want to hear the sound on your headphones, you'll have to open the companion app that comes with Soundflower when you install it. When you click it, at the top, you'll see the soundflower icon. Click on it and under Soundflower (2ch), choose where you want the audio to be played (in addition to being available on stream).

Hope that helps,

Nicholas

I recommend not using sound flower(bed) but instead use sound siphon as it works for me perfectly. All you need to do is change you system input and output to sound siphon - unlike sound flower, you can hear the audio output from your computer

Hey @kitcatbass,

Have you tried re-installing Soundflower? That may solve the issue.

Also, are you planning to use your built-in speaker or a headset? If you're using a headset, would you be connecting via USB or through the headphone jack? I ask this because if you are indeed using a headset via USB, Soundflowerbed seems to freeze for whatever reason whereas it works via the headphone jack. Something worth noting.

Let us know how it goes!

Nicholas

pikerush21

It doesn't work for me either on Yosemite, or on older systems (like Mountain Lion). When I use Soundflower or WavTap as an output device I can't hear my input in the system and neither can I hear any other stuff playing (like music).

The sound seems to be completely channeled when I use the device Soundflower creates, so everything that is output in this device is recorded in OBS but you can't hear anything on the system output.

I think I once had a hardware solution for this, it involved using a 2-way jack connector which I was plugging both in the LineIn and Headphones ports, so I was able to still hear the captured sound.

pikerush21

Nevermind, I made it work. You have to select Soundflower 2ch Built-in output, while the Soundflower app is launched in the menubar. Make sure your other programs you want sound from (like music player) also output on the Soundflower 2ch device.

It's working now on Yosemite.

pikerush21

If you want to capture from more sources at the same time, you can create an Aggregate device in the Audio Midi Setup utility and add the default system device and the Soundflower 2ch device.

So now you can get sound from other programs you are interacting with and from programs which have their sound channeled through Soundflower (to OBS). Just make sure to tweak the master volume down so you don't get any feedback from your sources.

kitcatbass

If you want to capture from more sources at the same time, you can create an Aggregate device in the Audio Midi Setup utility and add the default system device and the Soundflower 2ch device.

So now you can get sound from other programs you are interacting with and from programs which have their sound channeled through Soundflower (to OBS). Just make sure to tweak the master volume down so you don't get any feedback from your sources.

That's the thing. Even if I reinstall soundflower, it refuses to open. So I can't tweak the options.

kitcatbass

Hey @kitcatbass,

Have you tried re-installing Soundflower? That may solve the issue.

Also, are you planning to use your built-in speaker or a headset? If you're using a headset, would you be connecting via USB or through the headphone jack? I ask this because if you are indeed using a headset via USB, Soundflowerbed seems to freeze for whatever reason whereas it works via the headphone jack. Something worth noting.

Let us know how it goes!

Nicholas
I mean it did freeze for some reason before it continued to not work after I messed with a setting and a high pitched screech came through my headphones. After several reinstalls later, no dice. Streaming on Yosemite is exceptionally unstable -_-

Velos85

Exact same problem here - click it, flower appears in top bar, the dissapears afte about 1 second. Reinstalled, still nothing. Any help would be amazing

Chiaroscurosity

That's the thing. Even if I reinstall soundflower, it refuses to open. So I can't tweak the options.
I was having this issue and soundflower would just hang in the menu bar with the beachball when I'd hover over the icon. So, I found that OBS would crash soundflower if I tried to load soundflower after OBS. So, I use Activity Monitor under Applications>Utilities to force quit the soundflower process from running. Then, I quit OBS, reload soundflower, then apply all the settings as discussed above, then launch OBS. Hope that helps!

keybounce

If your issue is only about soundflower bed, then you might try using LadioCast.

Quick summary: Copy up to three different input sources, to any of three different output sources, and volume adjust in the process

As far as I can tell, the newest (0.10.5) is only available from the app store, but 0.10.4 is available from various places. (And, I need to update mine)

Corndawg

If your issue is only about soundflower bed, then you might try using LadioCast.

Quick summary: Copy up to three different input sources, to any of three different output sources, and volume adjust in the process

As far as I can tell, the newest (0.10.5) is only available from the app store, but 0.10.4 is available from various places. (And, I need to update mine)
How does one use ladiocast with obs?

keybounce

From memory, I tossed default system output to a loopback (sound flower), so that Minecraft's output (and skype's) went to sound flower; then, LaudioCast sent microphone and sound flower to a screen recorder, and OBS could pick up and stream sound flower and microphone.

It's been a while, and I'm two recording setups past that point now.