Question / Help Issues using OBS while connected to an HDR capable display.

TheOlive

So, this is a bit of an odd one.

I have an HDR capable display, that I use to play games on. However, even when HDR is turned off in Windows, it's automatically enabled when launching a game while OBS is running with game capture source. This means that all games, even the ones that aren't HDR capable, will run in HDR. this does not sound so bad in theory, but the fact is that the games were not programmed for this, and it makes them look very oversatuated. Whenever I'm not running OSB, there're no issues whatsoever. It disables HDR when needed and so on. There's no way to turn off HDR in the display unfortunately.

Now, I've found two solutions to this. Either I can run games in borderless window, or I can use display capture instead. Both solve the issue, but with it's own downside. Using display capture blocks any kind of adaptive sync technologi, so in practice, this just makes it a normal display, even though G-sync is on. Playing in borderless window defaults to Windows desktop display settings. This means that HDR is enabled, but Windows does detect that the game is SDR content, and it is therefor not oversatuated. When HDR is enabled on the display however, the settings on the display changes, and I can't use my SDR presets, since they look different in HDR mode.

So, in short: There are ways around this, but it seems like a lot of work just to be able to use OBS to stream or record while having an HDR display connected. Does anyone have a suggestion or a way that I can disable all HDR functionality in Windows temporarily? Display settings did not help unfortunately. Whenover OBS is runng, the game is just forced to run in HDR no matter what my settings in there are. It should also be noted that my second display is not an HDR display.