Question / Help Issue with OBS and NVENC?

generalbrothers

Hey guys,

using OBS with NVENC to record and ocassionally stream. Never had any issues in the past year, however recently I've been losing around 1/3 of the frames to rendering lag, which is weird considering NVENC did never act up before, whether it was PUBG or BF1 or whatever - even with high GPU loads.

Since the problem became apparent over the past month, I'm interested in hearing whether some others are experiencing these issues as well, or if someone has found a solution. Maybe NVIDIAs new drivers screwed something up?

Here's a log: https://obsproject.com/logs/AniqA-2bVWHWVpkJ

BK-Morpheus

Maybe you simply got an Windows update and now you see, what many others in this forum already noticed years ago:
Without a proper GPU bottleneck prevention (aka frame limit), the OBS rendering performance can be choked.

It seems to depend on the game, the monitors and on the game settings (fullscreen vs. borderless window). Luckily, in 90% of those cases, a proper limit that won't allow the GPU to run as a bottleneck, will solve the issue.

generalbrothers

Maybe you simply got an Windows update and now you see, what many others in this forum already noticed years ago:
Without a proper GPU bottleneck prevention (aka frame limit), the OBS rendering performance can be choked.

It seems to depend on the game, the monitors and on the game settings (fullscreen vs. borderless window). Luckily, in 90% of those cases, a proper limit that won't allow the GPU to run as a bottleneck, will solve the issue.

Certainly possible, but i think something is just plain wrong with NVENC since the release of the RTX drivers. Shadowplay works fine with regards to framerate but I've observed some bugs with it as well now (e.g. it inexplicably always produces 1080p video in spite of "in game" setting and no matter what resolution the game is, and some other forum posts have mentioned problems with it.)

FWIW reducing the load on the GPU down to around 60% still produced a ton of dropped frames. Anyway, I'll continue investigating and thanks!

xlanblue

I got TOO! I am an anchor and have been broadcasting games abroad. I now have 1080ti, and quadro M2000, the hardware is installed correctly. Both the OBS and NVIDIA control panels point to the M2000 decoding. In the live broadcast, the M2000 can work normally, but after opening the OBS, the preview effect is still 1080ti, and the usage rate of the M2000 is 0. There is a delay and a tiny stuck in the preview screen. As a result, there was a slight delay and stagnation in my live video. I carefully queried the problem of not being rate and uploading. Because the OBS software runs on 1080TI, when the 1080TI usage rate is very high, these problems appear in the preview picture. It is determined that the preview picture of OBS is generated by 1080TI, and the decoding is done by M2000. How can I solve it?

BK-Morpheus

I don't understand why and where any "decoding" should happen on your site.
It's just composing+rendering your scene and then encoding the frames into a video...no decoding involved, as far as I know.
Rendering problems have nothing to do with the encoding process, it won't help to install a second GPU for encoding. The opposite might be the case, if you CPU+Mainboard cuts the PCIe lanes from x16 to x8, when two GPUs are installed.

xlanblue

I don't understand why and where any "decoding" should happen on your site.
It's just composing+rendering your scene and then encoding the frames into a video...no decoding involved, as far as I know.
Rendering problems have nothing to do with the encoding process, it won't help to install a second GPU for encoding. The opposite might be the case, if you CPU+Mainboard cuts the PCIe lanes from x16 to x8, when two GPUs are installed.

I just downloaded the classic version and there is no such problem.