Issue with camera device not appearing on OBS studio

echizen20

Hello. I am using a sony a6400 camera and a 4k camlink to hook into my desktop computer. When I open up obs studio and try to add the device, all that is listed is the OBS Virtual Camera. The microphone from the camera is working fine as i can see the mic/aux in the audio mixer detecting it. If I unplug the camlink then it does not detect the mic anymore. Now when I plug the camlink into my laptop and open up OBS studio from there and add the device, it does show up for me fine. What can be the issue? Could there be something on my desktop pc conflicting with it? Again it does detect the mic from the camera oddly.

Sukiyucky

It maybe in how you are connecting it.

Camlink 4K is USB 3.0 so plug it into a USB 3.0 port on your motherboard. It won't work with USB 2.0.

Best to plug the Camlink into a USB port that is directly into the motherboard. That should correlate with either the front panel USB ports or in the back of your computer. If you are plugging it into a USB hub, it won't work.

echizen20

It maybe in how you are connecting it.

Camlink 4K is USB 3.0 so plug it into a USB 3.0 port on your motherboard. It won't work with USB 2.0.

Best to plug the Camlink into a USB port that is directly into the motherboard. That should correlate with either the front panel USB ports or in the back of your computer. If you are plugging it into a USB hub, it won't work.

It is connected directly to the back panel I/O port of the motherboard. All the usb ports are usb 3.1.

Sukiyucky

The only thing I can think of is if you are using a dummy battery.

I use an Elgato Camlink 4K with a Sony RX 100 IV. The dummy battery looks something like this.

For a Sony A6400 the dummy battery, looks like this.

echizen20

The only thing I can think of is if you are using a dummy battery.

I use an Elgato Camlink 4K with a Sony RX 100 IV. The dummy battery looks something like this.

For a Sony A6400 the dummy battery, looks like this.
Yes I am using a dummy battery. I can understand if that was the issue but it works fine when I plug it to my laptop. OBS detects it no issues.

Sukiyucky

See if below OBS Camlink sources helps:

1602595151442.png

Sukiyucky

Go to Device Manager and look under Sound, video and game controllers to see if Cam Link 4K shows up without an error. Update the driver.

Could it be a bad HDMI cable?

echizen20

Go to Device Manager and look under Sound, video and game controllers to see if Cam Link 4K shows up without an error. Update the driver.

Could it be a bad HDMI cable?
Yes it shows on there. Under Device Status it says this device is working properly. All drivers are up to date on it. The only thing which im not sure if it matters is under the events tab it does say Device not migrated. And in the information text box it says
Device USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0066&MI_03\7&22849d11&0&0003 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Sukiyucky

Could be that the universal video class Windows driver got changed and the updating of it in your system didn't work.

Don't rule out the HDMI cable. I use this 25 foot Cable Matters 4K micro HDMI to HDMI cable to run from my Sony cam to Camlink dongle.
  1. Turn off the camera
  2. Use the new cable. Insert HDMI micro end into camera, HDMI-A end into Camlink HDMI dongle.
  3. Exit OBS Studio
  4. Uninstall the driver
  5. Reboot Windows
  6. Put Camlink dongle back into a USB 3.x port so Windows reinstalls the USB video driver (*)
  7. Check Events tab again

(*) The driver is likely a Windows class wide USB video driver (usbvideo.sys), not an Elgato authored driver.
The package consists of 5-6 files so all must be installed and registered correctly in the system. If there is any point in failure, the Camlink won't be recognized by the system and applications that do device class discovery over a type won't find it. Worse, if the applications save off the device ID to use as a lookup into the registry hardware/device to negotiate use.