Question / Help Is there a way to load different profiles?

ramma

What I'm wanting to do is create and save profiles which would load a different group of settings all at once (command line preferably). For instance I'd like to be able to make a streaming settings profile and a local recording settings profile, which can be changed either in program or at startup with a command line launch option. The main things which would be critical to be changeable in each profile are bitrates (audio & video), fps, and the streaming service plus it's auth tokens.

So, is this currently possible? Maybe having multiple config files (given there is one with all those settings) and having a launch script which places the correct config file would be a potential work around for now? Since I suspect this isn't possible right now, this post sort of serves as a suggestion/feedback post as well.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

I second the request for this feature. I hate having to change the livestream url back and forth when I want to switch from hitbox or twitch etc etc.

until they code this into the app what you can do is setup obs the way you want it for lets just say livestreaming, set everything you can think of then when you're all done close obs and you will make a copy of the entire folder ~/.obs-studio/ and name the folder something like obs-studio-livestream. then go back into obs and change everything so that it's now setup for local recording then when you're all done setting it up the way you want you will make a copy of the entire folder ~/.obs-studio/ and name the folder something like obs-studio-local. you would do that for every scenario you want so that now you have a bunch of folders named
obs-studio-livestream
obs-studio-local
obs-studio-whatever

and then right before you're ready to open obs you will delete the current folder named ~/.obs-studio and make a copy of which ever folder you're about to perform and place it at ~/.obs-studio/

that's the way i've done it.

ramma

Well, I wrote a not-so-clean script for managing profiles. Obs needs to be in the default location of ~/.obs-studio for it to work, but you can change that in the script easily.

All the script does is creates a new directory in .osb-studio/basic/ directory named as the input of -s to which the three config files are copied (basic.ini, scenes.json, and service.json). Using the -l option with the name of the save will then copy and replace the config files in .obs-studio/basic/.

Like I said though, it's not a clean script as I've only written a few python things ever. It works though!

https://gitlab.com/ramma/obs-profile-script

Sometime soon I'll add this to my obs-launch script, that way a specific profile could be loaded at launch from a given save.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I agree that it's needed and I just haven't had time to get around to it. A lot of features like that have to be re-added again. I appreciate the script for the time being though.

Maltahl

I agree that it's needed and I just haven't had time to get around to it. A lot of features like that have to be re-added again. I appreciate the script for the time being though.

Focus on main points of performance and stability then add stuff like profiles etc :)

leonhard

Developer
@ubuntuaddicted: if you have obs installed from the ppa and something is not quite right with your paths in the git build, it might actually pick up the old modules from the ppa instead of the ones from git.
We should probably have the modules log some version info too, in order to be able to see that in the logs.

@ubuntuaddicted: if you have obs installed from the ppa and something is not quite right with your paths in the git build, it might actually pick up the old modules from the ppa instead of the ones from git.
We should probably have the modules log some version info too, in order to be able to see that in the logs.
i doubt this is the case for me, before i downloaded from git i uninstalled obs-studio, obs-studio-common or whatever the packages there were and then i removed the ppa and updated via apt-get. then i compiled in portable mode.

on the mantis bug tracket Jim commented that some latency number was entered as microseconds versus milliseconds and that he was going to fix it, this was 5 days ago. I wish there were more interaction/feedback from the dev's within the audio lag thread. i really really want obs-studio to succeed in linux. ;)

Maltahl

There is plenty if you join the IRC once and a while there is plenty of communication for the Linux part. I report errors on the forum and directly to Jim with video files and logs and feedback on current release almost daily.

Also you should purge OBS from your system and use of offical ppa and install via the terminal. Then you get the lastest and greatest everytime without getting a corrupted version.

what's the irc channel? is it on freenode? i'll definitely drop in.

back on 10-7-2014 i was informed by mishka on the mantis bug tracker that the ppa didn't have certain changes that jim made and that if i wanted to test it that night i would need to compile from GIT so that's what I did.

Maltahl

what's the irc channel? is it on freenode? i'll definitely drop in.

back on 10-7-2014 i was informed by mishka on the mantis bug tracker that the ppa didn't have certain changes that jim made and that if i wanted to test it that night i would need to compile from GIT so that's what I did.

The PPA have updates for OBS daily so i would use that instead.

The PPA have updates for OBS daily so i would use that instead.
are you not familiar with what the PPA is? it takes the GIT code and packages it, I don't know what the update schedule for the PPA is BUT i do know that if I compile from GIT that i'll always be running the latest and greatest. Let's just drop the fact you think running the PPA would help me because I don't see any reason it would. I do apprecaite you trying to help me but running the PPA will not solve my audio desync issues unless the PPA is a compiled package other than what's in GIT. Thanks