Is there a way to hear the videotrack while doing a voiceover?

Trollercoaster

So I am doing a voiceover by using VLC Video Source to play some gameplay footage, with webcam and microphone.

Everything works fine... almost. I can't hear the soundtrack of the video, but the sounds show up in the saved file afterwards.

I searched for a solution online this is apparently normal, and "Audio Monitoring" was suggested as solution. But if I select VLC Video Source as "Monitor and Output", for some reason the quality of the soundtrack becomes much worse than it was in the "mute mode".

Is there a way I can do the following at the same time:
1. Record MP4 file with options to pause and play. This was easy though hotkeys.
2. Have webcam and microphone for voiceover. Again, managed to do this with layers.
3. Hear the video soundtrack without butchering the quality? This is where I have a problem. Right now I have to choose between mute game which really hurts the commentery quality in a game where footsteps are a thing, or alternatively dealing with worthless audio quality. There must be a way around this?

Is there really no way to combine Desktop Audio that I can hear, with VLC Video Source?