Is there a way to fix lags on a weak internet

whoYoda

I do not have the opportunity to stretch cable internet and I use 30-40 Mb/s Wi-Fi. In games internet is generally stable, but stream lags for second or two about every minute. I tried to change the bitrate from 8000 to 3000 but it didn't help, also with the resolution. Is it because of the internet at all? CPU - i5-10400 / GPU - 1660 super / RAM - 8GB

micktech

Yeah it's definitely because of the internet. I think at least 50k with cable are recommended for streaming. The problem is wifi connection is often unstable and so it's causing lags. You have to think of the mass data which has to be uploaded just in second it's happening. So probably yeah it's because of the internet :/

Lawrence_SoCal

WiFi is inherently variable.... especially if there are other WiFi devices in the area
So if you have to use WiFi, making sure no one/nothing else is using it (not even powered on) will usually help
And yes, dropping streaming bitrate will absolutely help... but WiFi for streaming is generally a bad combination regardless (it is why Smart devices, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc all have buffers built into them)

And be careful using the phrase lag, as technically that can mean a number of different things. There is delay caused by network congestion. There are dropped frames due to PC resource issue or dropped frames due to network connection. And then there is the normal speed of light limitation (plus use of free services like YouTube/FB/Twitch/etc) that means when you live stream, the time delay (lag) until others see the content

qhobbes

You can use the existing wiring in your residence to create a wired connection using either Ethernet over Power or MoCA adapters (Ethernet over Coax).