Question / Help Is there a way to exclude OBS's screen from Display Capture?

fiorgodx

I used to use Window Capture to display my browser, but that's inexplicably flickery and no one seems to have a good solution other than "use Display Capture". However then OBS covers my browser whenever I want to change Scenes, volume levels, etc, even when I set Display Capture to a specific window. I know I could just live with is because you only see OBS for a second but it looks really bad and I usually look at OBS rather than where I'm streaming to because there's a delay.

Is there any way to not show OBS when doing a Display Capture, or is there another solution? I'm on a laptop so I don't have multiple monitors.

fiorgodx

@Narcogen Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, having to carry around an external monitor defeats the purpose of a laptop though. Keeping OBS minimized seems like a clunky workaround, and it's unfortunate I can't just use Window Capture because that has the function I wanted, it just flickered and jumped uncontrollably. Do you know any fix for that? I want to be able to have OBS front and center so I can see what my viewers are seeing, rather than just hoping I've switched scenes and laid things out correctly ahead of time.

Narcogen

There's no way around the bad performance of window capture in MacOS, no. There's also no real way around the near-necessity of a second display if you want to capture something and then also monitor your stream in real time. OBS does not have any way of erasing itself from your stream while also allowing you to view it on a single display, nor would any such method be particularly performant if it did. On a single display, the best single option is display capture + websocket, and perhaps a 2nd portable device (tablet, phone) on mute to monitor your own stream (with delay).