Is my computer too slow or am I just configuring this wrong?

arpeggi5150

Hey everyone long time dabbler if OBS first time poster. So here’s my situation. I have a somewhat Outdated Computer running windows 10 (i5, Gtx 460, no Solid State... yet)

my idea was to use this extra computer as a dedicated streaming/recording machine. I have an internal pirect capture cardcollecting the signal from various 1080p HDMI devices on the other side of a switch. So this computer is doing no gaming at all on its own. I have a few different webcam setups I’ve been trying to use in conjunction with cromakey for a green screen effect.

When I use the webcam (I’m using an iPhone btw) and the capture card together (with a ps4 let’s say) including cromakey everything previews just fine has little to no latency and looks very nice and is in high quality (1080p 60fps) however as soon as I hit record the webcamgets extremely laggy and desyncs from the capture card which doesn’t seem to have a problem.
I’m confused and any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

arpeggi5150

UPDATE: I tried in admin mode after seeing error D3D11 could not initialize in the log but no change to the log from doing so

arpeggi5150

UPDATE 3: Apologies for being Noob and for probably not explaining things well enough. Also apologies if i should be making this a new thread if i should please let me know and i'll happily rewerite it. After doing hours of research it seems to me my PC is just not fast enough to do what I'm expecting of it. (Probably should've realized how old it actually is) I think it could do 720p at 30 FPS but at that point i'd almost rather stick with my main Gaming PC since I will be doing a decent amount of Console Gaming and the PC wouldn't lose quality from that anyway. But I suppose that Leaves me with the question:

Would I be Better Off Just Using My Gaming PC
- Ryzen 7
- GTX 980
- 8 GB Ram
- SSD
for streaming / Recording Even when Playing PC games on that same PC? Or would it be worth it to use the 2nd Older PC (Intel i5 from the earlier comment in this post) for streaming recording to take the weight off of my Gaming PC, and simply deal with the lower quality? Would it be net gain in quality since the Ryzen has to do OBS and the game at the same Time? Meaning Overall the Stream quality would improve between using two systems? Or overall is the Ryzen 7 and the Gtx 980 SO much better than the i5 that even bringing it into the equation slows things down too much?

When I do 1080p on my Ryzen 7 Gaming PC My whole quality definitely takes a noticible dip in FPS, and again I apologize i'm quite tired and may be repeating my self a bit but I'm trying to be very clear. In my mind i see 3 possibiliteis

1. Single Higher End (Ish lol) PC Setup
Ryzen 7 PC Handles OBS when doing console gaming and when doing PC gaming. During Console Gaming Records at higher settings (1080p 60fps) however when PC gaming records / streams at lower settings IE 720P 30 FPS

or

2. Dual PC Setup A
Ryzen 7 PC Handles all PC Gaming. 2nd i5 Handles ALL streaming/recording Console Or PC.
outputs just about everything at 720p 30fps at best with face camera on 480p. (It should be able to do this pretty consistently right? With nothing else but the iphone OBS App Running?)
- When Console Gaming Main PC is free for other work (BONUS)
- Convenience of having all streaming done from one place. (BONUS)
- With the Ryzen I could probably do 1080p 60FPS Gaming capture so this would be a MINUS for this setup because it can prob only do 720p 30fps

or

3. 2 PC Setup B
Ryzen 7 PC Handles all PC Gaming. Ryzen 7 ALSO handles all console Streaming.
2nd i5 Handles ALL Streaming/Recording of Gaming Ryzen 7 PC.
outputs again at 720p 30fps at best with face camera on 480p.
- Main PC is now Free to Go FULL ham, (BONUS)

Am i missing anything here?

koala

For streaming a PC game, the recommended setup for a PC with a Nvidia GPU is to run both the game as well as OBS on the same PC and use nvenc as encoder. This 1 PC setup is the most resource conserving setup while at the same time still having all flexibility OBS is able to provide with it compositing.
If you also intend to stream a console, use that same gaming PC as OBS platform and instead of game capture a local game, use a capture device to grab the console output. For OBS, it's as easy as switching to a different source, everything else can stay the same.

Your i5 is apparently not powerful enough to encode your intended resolution 1920x1080 at your intended fps (60). Don't use it, it's more a burden than a help in finding a good working setup.

Instead, use your Ryzen 7 PC for everything, and to not waste CPU cycles for encoding, use nvenc as encoder instead of x264. While you play a console game, you may have enough CPU cycles to switch to x264, but if you're streaming a PC game, use nvenc, so full CPU power is available to the game.

arpeggi5150

For streaming a PC game, the recommended setup for a PC with a Nvidia GPU is to run both the game as well as OBS on the same PC and use nvenc as encoder. This 1 PC setup is the most resource conserving setup while at the same time still having all flexibility OBS is able to provide with it compositing.
If you also intend to stream a console, use that same gaming PC as OBS platform and instead of game capture a local game, use a capture device to grab the console output. For OBS, it's as easy as switching to a different source, everything else can stay the same.

Your i5 is apparently not powerful enough to encode your intended resolution 1920x1080 at your intended fps (60). Don't use it, it's more a burden than a help in finding a good working setup.

Instead, use your Ryzen 7 PC for everything, and to not waste CPU cycles for encoding, use nvenc as encoder instead of x264. While you play a console game, you may have enough CPU cycles to switch to x264, but if you're streaming a PC game, use nvenc, so full CPU power is available to the game.

Very helpful man thanks. I was kinda on the fence about this but after seeing how much resources the Cameras require as well I think you're probably correct.