Question / Help iPad simultaneously capture Video/Audio

MrHollick

First let me say this is not hardware specific since Camtasia lets you capture video and audio at the same time. Why cant we seem to do it in OBS?

Im using a MacBook Pro and connecting an iPad Air to the USB port with a lightening cable. I also have a Blue Snowball connect to another usb port.

When I set up a scene and add a Video Capture Device I select the iPad and the video shows up just fine, I select the Blue Snowball mic in the mixer and i can get sound from that just fine. But there is no audio coming from the iPad. If i add the iPad in the settings for audio i can hear the audio but the video disappears.

How do I capture Video and Sound from my iPad to Live Stream and the mic as well for commentary. It seems like it should be much easier than Im finding it,.

I have iShowU Audio installed as well and have set up a multi output device but that doesn't seem to help me with OBS.

There are so many tutorials on getting sound from desktop which i can do just fine with the IShowU but nothing Ive found to help get video and audio from the iPad.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this has already been answered.
obs.jpg

xCHIEFx

Are you using display capture on the QuickTime for the iPad? and, did you raise the volume on the QuickTime window? As long as your IShowU is set up, the only reason I can think of that the iPad won’t give you audio is simply you didn’t raise the audio level on the QuickTime window. hover over it, you will see it appear, make sure ipad is the selected audio source in the QuickTime window, and raise the volume. You should be fine.

MrHollick

Im not using Quicktime at all. I launch a gaming app on the iPad and whats on the screen comes into OBS in the scene as Video Capture Device.

imat90594

@MrHollick, You can capture the audio by using QuickTime as audio capture device.

However, I'm having problem with this solution as I can't use my Airpods to listen to my Ipad. It is vital since I'm playing a game that requires audio in gameplay.

Let me know if you have the solution already :) that would be great help on me as well. Thanks!

metawops

I have the same problem. I used to use the QuickTime Player app on the Mac and chose a new Movie Recording and selected my iPad both for the Camera and the Microphone source. (When I actually *record* a movie it works.)
Until I read this thread I didn't know that I can add an iPad's screen directly via a Video Capture Source in OBS. Nice!
However: still no audio coming into OBS from the iPad. :-(

@imat90594 How do you add an Audio (Input? Output?) Capture source and select the connected iPad? I don't get that option in the device list. When adding an Audio Output Capture source I just get the Blackhole and Loopback devices (installed both) in the device list.
When adding an Audio Input Capture source I just get all the devices with inputs that are connected to my Mac (including Blackhole and Loopback). But no iPad Audio device or similar.

metawops

P.S.: As soon as I enable my connected iPad in the Audio-MIDI-Settings app on the Mac the iPad's video/screen disappears in OBS. So it's either screencapturing or audio from the iPad for me right now. :-(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 16.30.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 16.30.25.png
    21 KB · Views: 204

Francesco Vidotto

I found "Camera for OBS Studio" (https://obs.camera) be a good solution for me. I use it with iPhone but I think it can handle iPad also. It can take sometimes to get back the connection after you unplug the iPhone, but in most of the cases it works fine. You can connect both wireless of via USB, but I suggest the latter. The downside is the price (about 16 €), but for me it has been a life saver. I use it for using the camera of the iPhone as a webcam and the iPhone mic as an audio source.

Last edited:

metawops

I found "Camera for OBS Studio" (https://obs.camera) be a good solution for me. I use it with iPhone but I think it can handle iPad also. It can take sometimes to get back the connection after you unplug the iPhone, but in most of the cases it works fine. You can connect both wireless of via USB, but I suggest the latter. The downside is the price (about 16 €), but for me it has been a life saver. I use it for using the camera of the iPhone as a webcam and the iPhone mic as an audio source.

Yup. I bought the app, too, and use if for my cams #2 (iPhone 11 Pro Max from the top) and #3 (iPhone SE from the side). Works excellent!

However, in this context here in this thread the question is how to capture the sceen contents of an iPad *AND* simultaneously capture the audio output of that same iPad to be able to share the iPad's screen AND hear what any app might produce audio-wise. ;-)
(OBS running on a Mac, of course.)

It looks like there's no solution to this?! :-(((

wanderdesigner

Yup. I bought the app, too, and use if for my cams #2 (iPhone 11 Pro Max from the top) and #3 (iPhone SE from the side). Works excellent!

However, in this context here in this thread the question is how to capture the sceen contents of an iPad *AND* simultaneously capture the audio output of that same iPad to be able to share the iPad's screen AND hear what any app might produce audio-wise. ;-)

Yes, there is a solution. If you need to send audio and video from iPad using only a lightning cable, just install this https://www.ecamm.com and magically everything will work. Without the need for any cables, hardware or audio plug-ins. Just install this one and be happy with the live stream or screen recording with a macbook webcam or iPhone camera. Check out my gamer channel, it was recorded like that just by pressing RECORD and my iPad Air.

wanderdesigner

Oh, especifically link web page https://www.ecamm.com/mac/ecammlive/

wanderdesigner

@MrHollick, You can capture the audio by using QuickTime as audio capture device.

However, I'm having problem with this solution as I can't use my Airpods to listen to my Ipad. It is vital since I'm playing a game that requires audio in gameplay.

Let me know if you have the solution already :) that would be great help on me as well. Thanks!
this is the solution, https://www.ecamm.com/mac/ecammlive/ I'm tired of looking for a solution but I finally found this magic app that solves the problem of this topic

thewitt

I have managed do set this up with a combination of MJ Audio Recorder as a defined output device for my Mac and Loopback to route to OBS. There are probably other alternatives, but when I plug in my iPad and then direct the video output to my Mac, the audio plays through my speakers (Mac Output) so I was able to define an alternate output device and capture it from there using MJ Audio Recorder. Loopback routed this to OBS as well as allowed me to Monitor the output back through my speakers if I wish. Since the Mac output is now being sent to MJ Audio Recorder, the alternate path to a monitor within Loopback was needed.