Intermittent Microphone Distortion

BrianReece

Hi Guys, I'm faced with an Issue at the moment and I'm stumped.

Since switching to a New Microphone (Blue Yeti X) I'v began to encounter an issue at random intervals. When listening back to the recording The microphone input will completely distort and become unusable (crackling, gargling, artifacting) and then return to normal usually about 10 minutes later. This happens at random intervals and is not present when live monitoring the microphone via 3.5mm Jack in the base of the mic.

Things I have checked/troubleshoot so far:

Changed the USB adapter
All mic Settings on the Mac, Mic and Within OBS are set to 48khz, which is the native for the mic in question.
As mentioned above, I monitored the mic directly and encountered the issue in the recording when it was not present while monitoring.
I previously assumed it was due to the Logitech G suit running an EQ on the audio before passing through to OBS. I have since switched to a VST plugin for OBS and still have the same issue.

I have attached a log from the final test session and it occurred. I can't see anything. Although before the recording its shows me looking around in the settings.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This never happened in hundreds of hours of recording when I used the blue snowball, and the only difference that I am aware of is that the snowball ran at 44.1khz natively

Attachments

• 2021-08-16 18-46-53.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 6

BrianReece

I also ran a recording session through "voicememo" a native Mac app to see if the issue presented itself. the recording was for an hour and It didnt show. Due to the random nature of the issue I cant completely eliminate the possibility that it is a Mac/Blue incompatibility at some level. But it usually presents itself within a time window like that.

I'v considered that this may be a random occurrence related to the switching from 44.1khz sample rate to the 48khz and as such I may run a test session after reverting both the Mic and the OBS settings to 44.1 again