Intermittent choppy sound when starting

jrissler

I am using obs to stream to facebook live and to record the same on my computer. Most times everything works fine. Occasionally when I start the record or streaming the sound is veyr choppy and bad. it happens both on stream and record. I need to close out and reopen then it seems to work. Any help?

SolidSoundGuy

I am using obs to stream to facebook live and to record the same on my computer. Most times everything works fine. Occasionally when I start the record or streaming the sound is veyr choppy and bad. it happens both on stream and record. I need to close out and reopen then it seems to work. Any help?
Does it sound like this file ( skim ahead to about -22:00)

Lawrence_SoCal

Other may ask for logs, but I'm a newbie and wouldn't know how to read the logs. So my feedback will be based on basic troubleshooting (unrelated to OBS)
- Have you started Task Manager and do you monitor Performance. Have you research what is on that screen, what is means/how to interpret?
- Have you turned off unnecessary background tasks
- Starting a stream and recording is a lot of work for your computer, and it is easy to create bottlenecks. For example, inadequate RAM, a slow SSD, or worse a HDD. etc
- Do you start the strea/recording, shortly after booting the computer and/or logging in (ie not letting the computer complete initial tasks and settle down)?

jrissler

The difficult thing is that I do the same thing each time. Sometime it will work fine, other times it won't.

Lawrence_SoCal

Understood - but you doing the same thing doesn't mean the PC is doing the same thing ... hence the troubleshooting questions
App & OS updates, Antivirus scans, etc - LOTS of variability completely outside your streaming workflow.