Intermittent Black Screen using HDMI USB Capture

ColaJon

I have an HDMI camera connected to a USB port via HDMI capture (Mavisware 1080p30). I get occasional black screens. However, the audio signal comes through even during the black screen. The PC is a 3rd gen i5 with an Nvidia 1060, which runs comfortably most of the time for a simple FB Live camera stream.

Because this is a dedicated setup, I only had one scene with one video capture device to begin with--so there was no possibility of device conflicts.

The first time I got the black screen, I created a second scene with a "new" video capture device that was really just the same device under a new name. Switching to the new scene fixed it the first time. I didn't touch the cabling, so this seemed to rule out cabling, capture device and USB port issues.

The black screen happened again, but this time neither the first nor second scene worked. But--you guessed it--creating a third scene the same way fixed it.

Can anyone advise how to fix this without creating new scenes? : ) I don't want to run on the integrated graphics, since this is not a monitor capture and I'm relying on the embedded nVidia encoder to offload the CPU and wimpy integrated graphics.

Thanks!

Jon

Hero from bcm

I too have been having a very similar problem. The only difference is it doesnt matter how many new sources I create, once its gone its gone. I tried many things to retrieve the feed. I am unable at the moment to figure this out. Same problem, I just dont get the feed back when I create a new source. I have a legion Y540

ColaJon

Hero, have you tried clicking the "Deactivate when not showing" box on the camera properties? I had this problem on another system and it seemed to be relieved by using this setting. By changing scenes, I was basically turning the camera off and on again. It doesn't help with my current problem, but might be worth a try for you.

CUMC Online

I have an HDMI camera connected to a USB port via HDMI capture (Mavisware 1080p30). I get occasional black screens. However, the audio signal comes through even during the black screen. The PC is a 3rd gen i5 with an Nvidia 1060, which runs comfortably most of the time for a simple FB Live camera stream.

Because this is a dedicated setup, I only had one scene with one video capture device to begin with--so there was no possibility of device conflicts.

The first time I got the black screen, I created a second scene with a "new" video capture device that was really just the same device under a new name. Switching to the new scene fixed it the first time. I didn't touch the cabling, so this seemed to rule out cabling, capture device and USB port issues.

The black screen happened again, but this time neither the first nor second scene worked. But--you guessed it--creating a third scene the same way fixed it.

Can anyone advise how to fix this without creating new scenes? : ) I don't want to run on the integrated graphics, since this is not a monitor capture and I'm relying on the embedded nVidia encoder to offload the CPU and wimpy integrated graphics.

Thanks!

Jon
This sound like an HDMI issue in the connection from the camera. What type of HDMI cable are you using? How long is it? The camera will read the EDID table in the USB capture device to establish a connection, or if EDID is missing, will default to whatever settings you have in the camera, and the connection may be dropping as a result.

Hero from bcm

im using a 4ft hdmi to hdmi mini for my gopro 7. the capture card is a simple usb3.0 amazon buy that captures 4k. I'll invest in a new cable and see if that works. thanks!

ColaJon

This sound like an HDMI issue in the connection from the camera. What type of HDMI cable are you using? How long is it? The camera will read the EDID table in the USB capture device to establish a connection, or if EDID is missing, will default to whatever settings you have in the camera, and the connection may be dropping as a result.
Thanks for this tip on the EDID. I tried new cabling with no effect. But, I'm beginning to suspect the budget capture card. I rebuilt the scene and the aspect ratio of the delivered image was wrong. I tried again and got the right aspect ratio (with no change to any cabling/hardware).