Question / Help Interlacing off between OBS and PS3 (SOLVED)

Creepyb4by

What's up, everybody? I'm xXCreepyB4byXx (Creepy Baby, not Creepy Before Bye (That doesn't make sense)) and I am a streamer on Twitch and I use OBS software. This is where they have the meetings for ppl like us, right? (AA Joke).

Ok, seriously, tho, I stream on multiple consoles and one of them is a PS3. I have noticed that on PS3, and I think on WiiU as well, the OBS software will shred the image and make it not match up perfectly. It's really hard to describe. so I can show you a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqa28ty2aE

You can see on this video how the lines happen. It's the worst if you're panning from left to right. This problem has been going on for about 2 months. Every time I stream PS3.

I tried restarting everything, I thought it was the capture card, I replaced cables, updated drivers, made a support post in the capture card forums, then it turns out that the capture card's software records the image perfectly (Hauppauge) and it's OBS that's causing the distortion. I'm sure it's just some box I have to tick, so if you could help me out there, thanks so much!!

If you can't, peace out. It's been good, but not THAT good. Like I said, tho, I think this is just some settings issue or something and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to have to explain to my viewers why you can't use OBS to stream PS3 games. I appreciate your help!!! Thanks in advance!!!

xXCreepyB4byXx

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Looks like a combination of motion blur and interlacing. However OBS doesn't even support the HD-PVR, I suggest trying OBS-MP, ensuring your video capture device source settings are correct, and posting a log file if the problem continues.

Creepyb4by

I am using OBS Multi Platform, version 12.3. This has been going on since Obs version 11. Source settings? It's coming in from PS3, it's a 1080i image and it doesn't get rescaled before going to OBS. I can guarantee the problem will continue because there is no solution yet. It happens every time. It's not some times, it's EVERY time. If we do absolutely nothing, I can guarantee you that it will continue. Also, where does it tell you what devices are supported, I mean my PVR 2 has been working fine with OBS except for this, but I need to let my community know if OBS can't handle their capture cards.

Creepyb4by

Found it!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRIrfQ8lJmxyjNWXWRk1LiRPfnhSDPJnfZQacF3VVHs/edit#gid=0

OBS does NOT support Hauppauge products, this must be my problem. Well, time to find some software that actually works, write a couple SCATHING reviews and inform my community about what's going on here. At least I know what the problem is-- It's OBS.

Thanks for your help, btw, I've been struggling with that issue for awhile now. It's a terrible feeling when ppl are telling you that your stream is jacked up and you have no answers for them.

Last edited:

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
You posted in the OBS1 forum so I assumed you were using it. OBS-MP supports the HD-PVR just fine (which you can clearly see in your own link). However there is no deinterlacing in OBS-MP yet so that's probably what you're noticing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Are you able to output 1080p or 720p from your PS3 instead of 1080i? That would solve the problem as well.

Creepyb4by

yeah, you're right, lol, it does say it works with OBS MP- I tried putting the PS3 on 720 and it seems to work, I haven't noticed the problem, I also checked out xSplit, not thrilled about paying every month, but it has an option to enable and disable the interlacing thing and I can stream PS3 in 1080 with it. I usually stream in 720, anyway, tho. I guess I owe you thanks again, lol. This is the answer I was looking for. I can use OBS, but I don't understand interlacing. I'm glad that it's only a problem in 1080, lol.

At least having x split and obs both will give me a chance to compare them side by side. I like the PS3 thing, but, at the same time, a lot of simple options in xsplit are restricted until you pay them and I'm not a fan of companies that purposely limit their own products if you don't pay enough. Right. I suppose this is either an uncommon problem or one that is usually easily solved because I couldn't find anything about this on the internet, lol. Anyway, again, Thanks a lot, OBS is my first broadcasting software, I didn't wanna ditch it and have to learn to use another program, lol.

I wish I would have known all this before I bought the hauppauge, tho. Their support is nearly non existant and their software is just terrible, lol.