Question / Help Intensity Shuttle won't display

plzhalp

Had an issue back in October where my MacBook wasn't even recognizing the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle plugged in via Thunderbolt -- @Harold suggested updating the firmware/BM Desktop Video; this remedied the issue.

However, while OBS now recognizes something is plugged into the Thunderbolt port, no combination of resolution settings on my camera, the Blackmagic Desktop Video app and the OBS drop-down is displaying video. The only success I've had in the past with OBS was when my camera was set to 720p 30 but the 'mode' on OBS was set to 720p 59.94.

I've tried using Wirecast and a different camera -- still no luck, no video/audio signal from Thunderbolt. Theoretically, I would just set the camera to 1080i 60, the 'default video standard' on the BM Desktop Video app to 1080i 60 and then when I add 'Blackmagic Device' on OBS, I select 1080i 60 on the 'mode' drop down....and voila....but it never works this easy, ha.

What is it you think I'm doing wrong?

Zeros.81

First of all, try with another HDMI cable, brand new if possible.
  • Open Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup an select HDMI as Video INPUT, if it's already selected change to Composite and then to HDMI
  • Set you camera to record 720p60, also be sure HDMI output is enabled.
  • Connect your camera to a TV and use the Info button of you TV to identify which resolution is sending your camera. If the signal it's 1080p60 try changing your camera settings until you see a compatible format (1080i60, 1080p30, 720p60, etc)
  • Connect your camera to the Intensity Shuttle.
  • Open BlackMagic Media Express an set under project settings the resolution that your camera is using. Be sure to change to tab "Log and Capture" in order to see the picture from the camera
If doing that you don't see anything, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cables, also Power Off and Power On the Camera.

Remember you can't use at the same time OBS and Media Express

Zeros.81

Also check your camera settings, it should have something like HDMI Color setting with AUTO, RGB and YUV. You should use YUV or AUTO.

plzhalp

Well, I went thru these steps and didn't luck out

But then after some blind noodling around, and this is most maddening thing, the picture is now appearing in OBS. Which, yes, success...hooray. But I have no idea what I did to remedy it.

I do notice that on BM Desktop Video Setup, it now shows 720p59.94 in the VIDEO INPUT field (it was blank before). Camera is set to 720p60 but whatever, I guess.

Onto the next step -- is there a how-to-guide or Best Practices for having a co-host patch in remotely? Skype is the pits, going to try Google Hangouts.

Harold

A skype version that supports NDI is actually going to be your best bet
Enable NDI in skype's calling advanced settings, then add your guest/co-host's feed via the NDI source plugin

plzhalp

Looks like the Mojave OS and Blackmagic just can't co-exist. Did everything under the sun to try to update firmware, drivers, etc. Went ahead and scrapped using our JVC cams thru the Intensity Shuttle, using the built-in webcam on the laptop -- maybe I should look into a USB webcam? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the heads up on NDI, @Harold. One question -- I am testing the YouTube stream at home by myself, so I had music playing on the "co-host" computer and when I got back to my heat and talked, the music would cut off whenever I spoke. Is that a OBS or YouTube thing?

Last edited: