Intel i7 8700K without graqphics card appropriate for OBS streaming...?

tdeece

Hi there!

We have a couple of mini-ITX PCs laying around and I'm thinking about making one of the our dedicated streaming PC. It would only handle OBS itself, the Blackmagic ATEM Switchter control software and a conferencing app (i.e. Microsoft Teams). Audio and video is being fed from professional external sources (mixers, cameras). The will be no gaming.

The PC in question features the following specs:

Intel i7 8700K
16 GB RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX H370-I
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
and a low-cost MSI GeForce GT 710 1GD3H LP

Now since mini-ITX mainboard only feature ONE PCI-E slot and I would like to outfit the PC with the new Blackmagic Design Quad HDMI Card we would remove the GT 710 graphics card.

I know that the i8700K features the Intel UHD Graphics 630 integrated graphics solution and the aforementioned mainboard has two video outputs (1x HDMI, 1x DP)

Now - WOULD this setup be sufficent to handle/stream 1080p30 (or 60) from the external 3-4 cameras (some of them might be UHD), using OBS for pretty standard switching and compositing stuff while feeding the desktop to two 1080p displays?
Would it still be able to also record the stream?
Would it be too much of a workload if OBS runs in studio mode, has the multiview enabled and maybe an additional detached program monitor? I mean that's a lot of video displays...

Any opinions on this? Would be greatly appreciated! THX!

koala

According to this benchmark https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/Intel-UHD-630-vs-GeForce-GT-710/3826vs2910 the Intel UHD Graphics 630 is 2.4 times more powerful than a GT 710, so you really should not use that external GPU in the first place. It's junk and outperformed by modern iGPUs.

Having said that, it's not clear if the iGPU is able to handle what you require. May be. I guess it is close. With 30 fps and no filters in OBS it will work I guess, but if it is able to handle 60 fps as well, I cannot tell.

tdeece

Hmm good point. Yeah we have a bunch of those GT 710 mostly because many of these PCs have CPUs w/o integrated graphics. I guess I'll just have to test it. Thx!

koala

The GT 710 is suited for displaying a static Windows desktop on server-like machines that have no iGPU, probably as well as Office-app work, but not for doing any graphics-orientated work like games or compositing video streams.