Intel Arc A770 AV1 Encoding

FaHu

Hey,
I´m very interested into the new Graphicscards from Intel. Is OBS ready for those new AV1 Encoding?

FaHu

But are there soon plans for it. I saw in the new Beta Version, that they implemented AV1 for the RTX40xx . Since this Cards are expensive like hell, the new intel Arc cards would be perfectly for an dual system setup with AV1 encoding.

Hey,
I´m very interested into the new Graphicscards from Intel. Is OBS ready for those new AV1 Encoding?
Wouldn't recommend it. I have an Asus laptop with an arc 370m and obs doesn't even see it as an encoding device. Not even for quick sync, it uses my integrated graphics over the dedicated. Even sat down with support and they said it's up to obs at this point and time. Maybe in a year's time they'll have it integrated but it's too new as of now. Also gaming on the 370m is a joke. Can't reach 80 constant frames even on competitive titles like valorant.

FaHu

Wouldn't recommend it. I have an Asus laptop with an arc 370m and obs doesn't even see it as an encoding device. Not even for quick sync, it uses my integrated graphics over the dedicated. Even sat down with support and they said it's up to obs at this point and time. Maybe in a year's time they'll have it integrated but it's too new as of now. Also gaming on the 370m is a joke. Can't reach 80 constant frames even on competitive titles like valorant.
Well, its a complete new area for Intel. Drivers are still not ready for all games. they missed like 20 years experience. So time will increase the performance. But Encoding is another thing. If RTX40x av1 encoding is still possible for the actual beta version, how long could it be, before the encoder for an Intel Arc is ready, since its av1 aswell. Laptop section probably wasnt really a thing to put work into obs for the encoder. But well, Im interested, if the developers are still working on that as well.
Still feel like Nvidea graphicscards are overpriced. :D

Lawrence_SoCal

Anyway, don't expect it to be soon.
Reasonable, but I can hope right? With OBS v28.1 supporting nVidia RTX 40xx AV1 encoding (presumably with nVidia's support of OBS), one can hope broader AV1 support in Intel won't be that far behind... (and AMD presuming AV1 encoding support in next gen GPU??)... then again, the question is how mature/stable are AV1 encoding drivers? Intel's Thunderbolt driver situation was a mess for years..
So, I'd love to move beyond the outdated H.264 for streaming... but that will require a significant client base that supports AV1, then the content delivery (livestream platform) providers will enable AV1 incoming streams (save them money on bandwidth for incoming traffic, and potentially on re-encoding??).. and no, I won't be surprised if that isn't a year or 2 or more away from general acceptance of AV1 upload streams..
usually it is the sooner the better, but Thunderbolt was significantly hampered (never recovered) due to initial Windows driver mess, let's hope the same doesn't happen to AV1

sandrix

Certainly for AV1 the future, because. is a completely free codec developed by AOMedia. The AMD RX 7000 series will also get hardware support for the AV1 codec, as we know from the development code. In total there are 2 main problems of the AV1 codec on video cards.
1. How well will it be implemented and resource efficient.
2. None of the streaming platforms support the AV1 codec at the moment. Twitch only plans to switch to AV1 until 2025. Youtube already has the technical capability and the DASH protocol that is needed for AV1, but in fact it cannot be used yet. In general, only for video recording. So basically it's nothing more than marketing when it comes to broadcasting.
Only in perspective...

rockbottom

Reasonable, but I can hope right? With OBS v28.1 supporting nVidia RTX 40xx AV1 encoding (presumably with nVidia's support of OBS), one can hope broader AV1 support in Intel won't be that far behind... (and AMD presuming AV1 encoding support in next gen GPU??)... then again, the question is how mature/stable are AV1 encoding drivers? Intel's Thunderbolt driver situation was a mess for years..
So, I'd love to move beyond the outdated H.264 for streaming... but that will require a significant client base that supports AV1, then the content delivery (livestream platform) providers will enable AV1 incoming streams (save them money on bandwidth for incoming traffic, and potentially on re-encoding??).. and no, I won't be surprised if that isn't a year or 2 or more away from general acceptance of AV1 upload streams..
usually it is the sooner the better, but Thunderbolt was significantly hampered (never recovered) due to initial Windows driver mess, let's hope the same doesn't happen to AV1

Just an FYI, Thunderbolt 4 works flawlessly on the Z690 chipset. No complaints here, I use it everyday.

Lawrence_SoCal

Oh, I know, Thunderbolt 3 & 4 are much better now. I have at least 5 systems (across family) working fine on a combination of 2nd and 3rd generation TB3 hardware docks. But the original TB3 was a mess, which I experienced 1st hand (Dell TB15). and took years to resolve. And it is that time to mature, if specs aren't clear enough up front, that gives me pause about AV1. AV1 could be great, or might it be a repeat of original TB3 specs and hardware/drivers?? I don't know. Based on history, I'd normally trust Intel over AMD when it comes to software... but graphics driver on these new GPUs, when Intel has already acknowledged they had to essentially start over from scratch due to s/w architecture issues in their graphics drivers, ... I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.. so to speak

to @sandrix point #1 1. How well will it be implemented and resource efficient.
My pondering is - will 1st gen hardware AV1 encoders get it right? or like initial TB3 hardware from some vendors/chipset makers, it ends up being that s/w couldn't fix the issues encountered (from assumptions made about the spec, and interoperability), and replacement h/w was required? I truly hope that isn't the case.. but I also am not in a point to bet against such an outcome...
they don't call it bleeding edge for nothing