installing obs sudio on raspbery

antonhouw

I have followed te steps mentioned in "

How to Install OBS Studio on Raspberry Pi OS? (video capture)", but I gat the following erroed:

- Could NOT find XCB (missing: COMPOSITE)
CMake Error at cmake/Modules/ObsHelpers.cmake:446 (message):
OBS: xcb composite library not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
plugins/linux-capture/CMakeLists.txt:6 (obs_status)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/anton/obs-studio/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/anton/obs-studio/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

Who knows what went wrong ? Please help me out !

AaronD

I have followed te steps mentioned in "

How to Install OBS Studio on Raspberry Pi OS? (video capture)", but I gat the following erroed:

- Could NOT find XCB (missing: COMPOSITE)
CMake Error at cmake/Modules/ObsHelpers.cmake:446 (message):
OBS: xcb composite library not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
plugins/linux-capture/CMakeLists.txt:6 (obs_status)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/anton/obs-studio/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/anton/obs-studio/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

Who knows what went wrong ? Please help me out !
There's a 9-page thread here:
But according to the more recent posts, it seems that something has changed and the old instructions no longer work.

I tried it once, using the old instructions when they were still current, and it "just worked"...as far as the app itself goes. Actual performance was...not great.

I wanted to record a single HDMI -> USB capture card, fullscreen, no scaling or any other processing, just straight from card to file, with a realtime indication that all was well (also show the video on screen). It would show on screen just fine, no lag, and the stats window showed adequate headroom, but as soon as I tried to record, it fell flat on its face.

Turns out that the Pi doesn't have a usable hardware encoder. I think it does have the hardware for it, but the license to use that function effectively gives it a hard no. So it's stuck with software encoding, which is iffy at best, even for a decent desktop, let alone a Pi.

If you only want to drive a fullscreen projector, then it might be okay as long as you keep the complexity down. But you're not going to stream or record on the Pi.

You can RE-stream on the Pi, and record that stream, as both of those functions are only a bit-for-bit copy with no processing, but even a Pi 4 is not going to create the stream in the first place, which is what I used to get the result above. OBS is not a re-streamer; it must decode and then encode, and it's the encoding step that kills it on the Pi.

This is a re-streamer:
I haven't used it myself yet, but I have it bookmarked as the first to try if I do need one.