Installing OBS in a VirtualBox emulated computer possible?

papagirafe

Hi all!,

For reasons that I will explain at the end of this post, I am looking to run OBS inside a virtual machine. The virtualization platform is VirtualBox running on a win7 (64bits) computer. So far I tried modifying one of my virtual machines running win7 (32 bits) but I get "unsuported GPU" error in spite of tweaking videos parameters. Did any of you tried this with success? I don't care if the virtual machine runs a flavor LINUX as long as I can make it work. By the way the host machine has an Intel 4400 video chipset.

Context:
I use OBS "green screen" filter to project a virtual background picture like in recent versions of Skype for office work and homescholling. Unfortunately with the new Google classroom, the computer that my dougther is using for school is overcharged when running OBS. In ligth of this I tried with success running OBS on my computer and sending the result to the "school computer" through NDI and it works well. Unfortunately my computer is not available for this so I have to use a third computer where I cannot install OBS natively.

koala

You need "graphics acceleration" in the guest.
If you use the professional or enterprise version of Windows in the guest, you can connect with rdp (remote desktop connection) to this machine instead of using the console directly. Rdp installs a virtual GPU that is capable to support OBS, regardless of the actual GPU that is available in the console.
However, the rdp GPU is a software emulation, and using the chroma key filter for green screen processing might overload the machine, since this is using GPU shaders, and emulated shaders might not be suited for being actually used. In addition, a Windows 7 rdp adapter might perhaps not be sufficient - it may be it is required to use Windows 10 in the guest with its newer rdp.

Considered all, you're probably wasting your time with searching for workarounds. Either it works on the machine OBS is running in the first place (the PC of your daughter), or it doesn't work. Sending data around your network with NDI just for the green screen filter isn't leading to good results.

papagirafe

Thanks! your answer really puts things in perspective. Unless by chance or magic I find a hardware based GPU emulation for my virtual machine this solution is simply not viable. Would have been cool though...

Hi all!,

For reasons that I will explain at the end of this post, I am looking to run OBS inside a virtual machine. The virtualization platform is VirtualBox running on a win7 (64bits) computer. So far I tried modifying one of my virtual machines running win7 (32 bits) but I get "unsuported GPU" error in spite of tweaking videos parameters. Did any of you tried this with success? I don't care if the virtual machine runs a flavor LINUX as long as I can make it work. By the way the host machine has an Intel 4400 video chipset.

Context:
I use OBS "green screen" filter to project a virtual background picture like in recent versions of Skype for office work and homescholling. Unfortunately with the new Google classroom, the computer that my dougther is using for school is overcharged when running OBS. In ligth of this I tried with success running OBS on my computer and sending the result to the "school computer" through NDI and it works well. Unfortunately my computer is not available for this so I have to use a third computer where I cannot install OBS natively.
I'm not sure this will be of help to you, but I've found that I get that error when I install guest additions the one within Win 10. I tried many many things that didn't work and according to the Vbox community other people are having similar issues. My host is a Mac and my guest is Win 10. I uninstall guest additions within the guest Win 10 and OBS works great! However, you will not be able to use the offerings of guest additions this way. Long story short. When I was first learning how to install guest additions I installed the Mac version not realizing that was the wrong thing to do. But for some reason it allowed me to use the Facetime camera that came internally in the Mac. I also see other cameras that I haven't tried yet. It also allowed for a few USB devices to be recognized like my iPhone. I was thrilled because the reason why I setup the virtualbox was to take advantage of some of the cool software not available for Mac. The downside is you can't file share this way. You need to find another alternative. For now I am using Google Drive and may upgrade to the paid version. Hope this helps!