Question / Help Infinite number of screens

SolihullRog

It's my first time in, and I have the same question as many others.
Why do I see an infinite number of screens?
Somebody indicated that it is something related to the Source, but I can't find a simple description of Sources.
I simply want to record the contents of my monitor, saying playing a YouTube video.
That's all.
Could you please help.

KomaOBS

I assume 2 things. You created a source "Display Capture"? With "infinite numbers of screens" you mean something like this.
This will show and record what's on your chosen display. For explanation: If OBS is in the foreground you will see the OBS window - OBS and captures itself and this ends in a mirroring effect.
If you want to record a Youtube video you can just start the recording, then open your browser and play the youtube video.
If you don't want those steps to be in your recorded video i would suggest to use a hotkey for starting and ending the recording.

Maybe watch a beginner guide on OBS if you havn't done that already :)

SolihullRog

Thank you for replying.
I see something far more complicated than yours, in that it shows the same screen over and over again, inside each other.
I simply want to record an area of my PC monitor, but everything seems to gloss over that, and go into far more complexity.
I'm used to SnagIt and Camtasia, and I don't play games.
I may want to record a YouTube video as its (non-maximum) window, and I want to see that I've selected the correct part of the display.
I've already watched several beginners videos and looked at some explanations on this forum, but everybody seems to go into far more detail without discussing basics.
I've used hundreds of software applications but never encountered one that ignores simple principles, like this does.

Last edited:

koala

If you tell OBS to record the screen, which is the case if you use the "display capture" source, OBS will record whatever is on the screen. If Youtube is on the screen, OBS will record Youtube. If OBS is on the screen, OBS will record OBS. In its preview, OBS will show what it is capturing. If OBS is capturing OBS, OBS will show OBS - itself - in the preview. This is what you see with your "infinite number of screens".

To avoid this with display capture, you need to bring OBS into the background and the thing you want to capture in the foreground. Usually, people using OBS with display capture have 2 monitors and move OBS to the other monitor they aren't currently capturing, so it is out of the way. If you don't have 2 monitors, you can minimize OBS to avoid it capturing itself and start/stop recording via the OBS icon in the system try (lower right corner of your task bar). Additionally, you can define hotkeys with Settings->Hotkeys to start/stop recording and press a hotkey to control the minimized OBS.

Or you can remove the display capture source and explicitly capture an application. You do this by using a "window capture" source instead of a display capture source. In this case, only this application becomes visible in OBS. You might try this as well. Keep in mind that if you try to capture a browser like Chrome or Firefox, you need to disable hardware acceleration in the browser setup (not in OBS, in the browser setup) to enable OBS to capture what the browsers show.

Having said this, OBS isn't made to capture a browser to capture a Youtube video. There are better ways to get a Youtube video - as far as I know, there is a huge number of "Youtube downloader" tools available on the web.

SolihullRog

I am very grateful for your replies, but I have now given up.
My example of YouTube was an example.
I often want record parts of my display of different sizes, including my whole monitor.
I have used Camtasia and Snagit, each of which I learned in a few minutes.
I have now tried for several hours to do the same with OBS. I have been a different remedy by every helper, but none has made any progress to my understanding.
I will leave the OBS scene completely puzzled.

koala

OBS isn't only a screen recording app. Screen recording is part of its huge feature set, so you might get lost with all the options. The ability to save what's on the screen is kind of a byproduct - the main usage of OBS is the ability to composite scenes for live production from several video and image sources and stream this live.

If you want to record part of the display, you may want to either use a window capture source to only record one app, or you may want to use a display capture source and crop. Press and hold the ALT key, then drag the red handles at the edge of your display capture source on the preview to only contain the part you want to have in the video.

Praveen193

If you don't have 2 monitors, you can minimize OBS to avoid it capturing itself and start/stop recording via the OBS icon in the system try (lower right corner of your task bar). Additionally, you can define hotkeys with Settings->Hotkeys to start/stop recording and press a hotkey to control the minimized OBS.

Or you can remove the display capture source and explicitly capture an application. You do this by using a "window capture" source instead of a display capture source. In this case, only this application becomes visible in OBS.

- Minimising the OBI window doesnt seem to work at all. I get infinite screens without the OBI Window.
- Window capture does not seem to work with powerpoint application. Any idea why ?