In Search Of: Best 2020 Mac Platform for OBS...

AlCath

Well - that's what I am: in search of someone running OBS on one of the new 2020 iMacs.

My current OBS Platform: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB.

My current OBS Config: OBS Studio, 4 cams (1080/60fps), which I often stream into Zoom with Github Virtual Camera Plug-In (https://github.com/johnboiles/obs-mac-virtualcam).

My OBS use case: music studio; multi-camera recording and live streaming (YouTube, Facebook, Zoom for music instruction)

I thought this iMac was nowhere near needing to be upgraded until OBS came along. Actually it can run OBS fine with 4 cams, but if I try to record, live stream, or run the virtual cam into Zoom, CPU usage goes way up (how high depends on whether you're looking at Activity Monitor (~150%) or OBS itself (~20%). The iMac's fan starts to run hard enough to be distracting. I've tried every conceivable OBS setting people talk about on YouTube and some of them have helped, but my conclusion is it's time for a hardware upgrade.

I understand that my CPU is working so hard because it is handling too much encoding burden because it can't offload that burden to the GPU because the original 2015 2GB graphics card is nowhere near enough. But upgrading the iMac's OE graphics card is not really an option.

There is a lot of web chatter that OBS was really designed around NVidia (and therefore Windows), but the OBS hardware specifications (https://obsproject.com/wiki/System-Requirements) lists

And I don't want to go to Windows. And I don't want to drop back to 30fps.

First I was researching ways to do an eGPU with iMac, but this would mean abandoning the iMac's display, which made me think Mac Mini. But now we have some new cowboys in town: the new all-SSD 2020 iMac and iMac Pro, which have been substantially beefed.

Maxxed out 2020 iMac

3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz

Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory

Maxxed out 2020 iMac Pro

2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz

Radeon Pro Vega 64X with 16GB of HBM2 memory

It seems to me that these new iMacs should be be able to handle a high-burden OBS configuration on a 2020 iMac or iMac Pro rather well, but I would sure love to hear someone who's actually doing this talk about it. Anyone?

haube

I am also in search for updating our system to have a more reliable platform to stream from - but I am starting with a late imac 2013 to compare with.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Michael

kevinw

Darn, I just started a thread unfortunately with not nearly as much information that you gave. But I only want to run a 2 cam live stream and 30fps would work for me. So, basically watching this tread...lol.

clouddancer9

Ok sad to say, currently running into issue with OBS and capture devices with 2/4 core and 4/8 is fine, but with your issue a solution you migh look into is ManyCam. Not only does handle 60fps with 2/4 core better is CPU usage is very low. We have used 2 cam, and may try 3 be never had need or opt to try 3 like now. Also in OBS you might try using other app for camera and then using a different device source in obs such as media source, desktop, app, and browser if your camera does not come with it's own OBS plugin. Also, one big side note, disk access is very important in performance with OBS you should manage all your disk i/o outputs for each app to make sure you getting the best performance. (AND yes always best to use SSD and sometime even SSD with USB 3.0 can be faster than internal disk control. )

AlCath

Ok sad to say, currently running into issue with OBS and capture devices with 2/4 core and 4/8 is fine, but with your issue a solution you migh look into is ManyCam. Not only does handle 60fps with 2/4 core better is CPU usage is very low. We have used 2 cam, and may try 3 be never had need or opt to try 3 like now. Also in OBS you might try using other app for camera and then using a different device source in obs such as media source, desktop, app, and browser if your camera does not come with it's own OBS plugin. Also, one big side note, disk access is very important in performance with OBS you should manage all your disk i/o outputs for each app to make sure you getting the best performance. (AND yes always best to use SSD and sometime even SSD with USB 3.0 can be faster than internal disk control. )
Manycam looks interesting. Thanks for this suggestion. Free Mac Download - will try today. I take it you're running it? On what machine?

merkmenz

LOL I just bought the iMac 2020 you are referring to (added 32 gb OWC ram) and trying to find the best settings in obs for it. I'll let you know what I encounter. I was hoping to stream with 2-3 cameras (1080p built in cam, Panasonic GH5 via cam link 4k and possibly Droid Cam for iPhone 12 or Go Pro7). My goal is to stream at 1080p 60fps...funny enough my old Mac was the same Late 2015 model to the T that you described above. It was working well for me in 720p 30fps but would have the occasional issues and with discord + all other stream essentials running it was problematic and sometimes would compromise my stream. Just found out the $220 Cable Matters USBC thunderbolt dock (model 201053) I bought to connect peripherals plus the external monitor was causing the new IMAC 2020 to crash. Now going thru hoops trying to get it all setup which brought me here. Hoping a Mac guru can help us out. Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 9.31.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 9.31.17 PM.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 22

MenziesMedia

Here’s what I’ve found so far...this is me merkmenz just in my other account ‍: