If I record in Rec2100 PQ, what color space does it use? Rec2020? DCI-P3? What about in Rec2100 HLG?

ms2312

Windows 11, Nvidia RTX 3070.
mainly playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition,
trying to figure out if I should buy a monitor that just does DCI-P3 or if I need to go up to Rec2020.
I plan to do some pretty aggressive color grading in DaVinci.
OBS 29.1.3
7/11/2023

koala

If you actually want to create HDR content with OBS and edit this with DaVinci resolve, you need your workflow fully HDR, which is quite big according to this guide for Resolve: https://filmmakingelements.com/davinci-resolve-hdr-workflow/

If you just want to edit some game capture and your end product is intended for a huge audience on some video streaming service like Youtube, simply create SDR content and use this throughout your whole workflow. Don't try to capture in HDR, then convert it down to SDR within DaVinci. Even if the game supports HDR, run it in SDR for the sake of your recording. The less conversions, the better the result.

So just record with one of the SDR color formats: NV12, I420, I444. If you focus on color, choose i444. You could also change color range to full, however if you export your final product to video services like Youtube, keep in mind these will probably recode every input to NV12 with limited color range no matter the input. Verify this before you start using a full i444+full color range workflow only to realize your end product will be forcibly converted to NV12+limited color range.

Suslik V

P3 in OBS preview only;
PQ transfer for output if Advanced settings of OBS were set to PQ.

Info above is only from my own understanding of how OBS works. Have no experience with actual capture.