Idea for Plugin - Where to Begin?

chris319

I have an idea for a video plugin. I have implemented my idea in PureBasic and it works well (it's not that complicated) but I have no idea where to begin in writing an OBS plugin.

The idea is for a video "scope" or waveform monitor. It would read each pixel in a frame and would use the pixel's R, G and B values to calculate the luma. The luma would then be displayed on the scope. The X axis of the scope would correspond to the X axis of the image, and the Y axis would correspond to the luminance value ranging from 0 to 255. The scope trace could be overlaid over video or it could be displayed over a black background, or it could be in a small window which the user could position. It would be useful for interactively adjusting a camera or other source.

I have experience in regular C but none in C++.

Anyone interested in helping out?

chris319

I have set up my build environment as specified in the tutorial.

If I build the entire solution I get 4 errors. If I build PSVPlugin I get no errors.

???

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'd watched this thread and been meaning to reply as well...

I have set up my build environment as specified in the tutorial.

If I build the entire solution I get 4 errors. If I build PSVPlugin I get no errors.

???
I don't get any build errors on the OBS Studio master in my build environment (Windows 10 64-bit, VS2015), thought I do get build warnings which don't cause any fatal/critical issues.

I was going to ask "What's PSVPlugin?" but I thought that sounded oddly familiar, so I looked into it... PSVPlugin is a plugin for OBS Classic (0.659b), and I think that's the core of your issue here. All development effort is focused on OBS Studio, and Classic is considered unsupported. If you have an idea for a new plugin, I highly recommend working on making a plugin for OBS Studio rather than OBS Classic.

Edit: Looks like @Osiris and I came to the same conclusion and cross-posted.