Question / Help I want to record small files - which exact settings should I use?

ivana

There are many horrible words in settings wizard, but which are the optimal settings for low file size?

And the second question - is it any way to record a display with camera in right down angle (I can do this), but SEE this camera window DURING the screen recording? I use camdesk for this and record only display source by OBS - but it looks like OBS is a many fichured software, is it can not do such simple thing?

ivana

I also successfully tried use quickTime for camDesk work - press movie record, set it window on top but not start recording. And also record all screen by OBS.

Narcogen

In Simple Output mode there are three levels of quality. Use the one for "medium" file size.

If that's too big, go to Advanced mode with CRF rate control and choose a number on the high end of the range for CRF, like 23 or higher. This will sacrifice quality in order to make smaller files.

How small you can make them and how good they will look will depend on the content you are recording and the hardware you're recording it on.

OBS has lots of features but it doesn't put your webcam on your desktop because it's a recording and streaming program-- everything it affects is displayed within its preview windows and its output, not anywhere else. It is duplicating the features of a hardware video switcher, and its windows are designed to mimic the hardware monitors of video switchers.

You can easily add any webcam to a scene but putting it there overlays it as a separate element in your scene-- it doesn't add it to your desktop.