I need help setting up my camera (nikon p520)

saveusbarry

Hi I'm trying to use my camera for streaming and I have it open in OBS but all I can see is whats on the sd card and I can't get it to show a live feed. please someone help. Thanks.

FerretBomb

DSLRs do not function as webcams over USB. USB is normally there only for battery charging and to copy files off the SD card.

You will need an HDMI capture device (assuming the camera has a clean HDMI-out port available). Normally these cost around $100-200 for a decent-quality unit, like the Elgato Camlink or HD60S. Before spending, I'd recommend plugging the camera into a TV to check what it outputs; Canon are notorious for 'baking in' the on-screen status display, which means having to crop the image down to 'cut away' the edges so that OSD will not be visible.

Some DSLR manufacturers will offer a 'live preview' over USB to their proprietary software. This is always low-quality and low-framerate... it'll look far worse than even a cheap webcam in most cases.

saveusbarry

DSLRs do not function as webcams over USB. USB is normally there only for battery charging and to copy files off the SD card.

You will need an HDMI capture device (assuming the camera has a clean HDMI-out port available). Normally these cost around $100-200 for a decent-quality unit, like the Elgato Camlink or HD60S. Before spending, I'd recommend plugging the camera into a TV to check what it outputs; Canon are notorious for 'baking in' the on-screen status display, which means having to crop the image down to 'cut away' the edges so that OSD will not be visible.

Some DSLR manufacturers will offer a 'live preview' over USB to their proprietary software. This is always low-quality and low-framerate... it'll look far worse than even a cheap webcam in most cases.

Hi thanks for replying. I have a cam link but its just showing whats on the sd card

FerretBomb

Hi thanks for replying. I have a cam link but its just showing whats on the sd card
A Camlink physically cannot show what's on the SD card.
A Camlink is an HDMI capture device... it just takes whatever the DSLR is outputting over HDMI and captures it, importing it into the system using the UVC video device standard.

Chances are, you have a USB cable (not a Camlink) connected to the DSLR, which is causing the camera to act as a USB Mass Storage Device... essentially turning the camera into a glorified SD card reader.