I just started doing the sound at church, kinda thrown in the pit like Daniel. Anyway I am having audio issues.

echo8287

Here is the setup> Canon HF R60 camera has a HDMI cable to a AJA U-tap thru usb cable to Apple computer running "Big Sur" 11.6.5 There is another cable off the camera into the back of the Behringer X32 (this cable is a stereo into the AV out port on the camera and then split into 2 xlr cables at the back of the mixer.) I have video but the sound is very low and has a crackle/static sound. I don't know how the OBS software is setup because several people have a hand in this. I do know the sound is set to 45,000 bit rate/stereo. I need some settings help. I know I do need to update the firmware on the mixer but can't do it before this Sunday>it will be next week. I did update the firmware on the U-tap. Do you know what the Mic/Aux Audio bar is supposed to be set on> MIc or default or the U-tap or something else? I can take a wireless microphone that is hooked to the mixer> speak into it and the faders on the OBS software will move up an appear as normal. I put a noise filter on both the input and mic inputs in the OBS software. That was the last thing I did and I did not test with the filters on,as I had to go. I need some settings help. I did swap USB ports on the Mac to no avail. Unplugged and re-plugged all connections.
The streaming is set to "you tube",5000 kbps, max quality. Don't know what else to do. They say it worked about 4 weeks ago. I don't know if the Mac automatically updated the operating system since then. Any assistance would be appreciated.

How do you route sound from X32 to OBS, is it via USB ? If using USB, can you ask what the card output routing setup on the X32 (is it using Matrix, Mix Bus, etc) and check the level (if possible solo it to check if the audio is crackling at the source) ?

I think that on OBS your Mic / Aux input should be whatever X32 input on your computer is

Any particular reason why you need the audio out from your camera ? I think the sound quality will not be good, better to use the sound going out from X32 to your Front of House speaker.

echo8287

I think the sound is going out the back of the mixer(on 2 xlr plugs to a single stereo end cable into the camera.) from camera then on HDMI cable thru the U-tap/hdmi where it changes to usb and then into the computer>kinda backward it seems. Maybe its done this way so the audio is in sync with the video. I am not having any trouble with the video>just the audio. On the mix/ aux audio tab in OBS, it had default, Xlr, E -320, and something else as choices.(should have took a picture). I think the audio out from the camera is only going for the stream, not front of house. I noticed the computer was running a newer Mac firmware>I read many people were having issues with "Big Sur" and OBS. Don't know if auto update on the computer messed up something, as it was working fine a month ago.
I am just reading about the card output routing setup on the X32> so I won't be any help there. I am more used to Ableton Live and Pro Tools, guitar editing programs and the like and this is my first rodeo on the streaming programs>just started> not any knowledge here>yet.

OK, assuming that sound is coming from U-tap into OBS. Can you test to record via Audacity / Quicktime in Mac to verify both the sound level and sound quality ?
Can you also ask the sound engineer in charge of X-32 to verify whether sound is coming into camera or coming out of camera ?

echo8287

There is no sound engineer>I am unfortunately it. Sound is going into the camera, as I recorded the service today on a memory card and it had sound from the mixer. In OBS the meters seem to be receiving the audio from the U-tap as the faders are moving with any sound from the mics in the church. The U tap was not a source choice in the menu at the bottom of the OBS software. I added it today. Then I had U-tap, microphone and audio in the menu by the 2 input faders.I tried to start a stream recording of my self taking into a microphone at the mixer and the faders went with my voice. I think I have something wrong in the software either in the "Stream" or "audio" in and out or the "output "/recording/audio/replay buffer. Or it may be a routing issue on the x-32, but I don't think so. I checked the camera hookup this morning. 2 xlr jacks(from the X32) go into a stereo plug into the camera, then there is one HDMI cable going to the U-tap> into the computer on a usb cable. The manual on the U-tap says it needs to be hooked up to a USB 3 input on the computer. I need to check that as all the inputs on this Mac are full. Have you ever experienced any problems with sound over a HDMI cable? I have on my TV at home.

Your setup is a somewhat unusual, the common way to route audio from X32 to computer is via USB / network (assuming that X32 has a DN32-USB / Dante Card attached to it. This is an OBS forum so I am not sure that we can explore X32 issues here.

Can you record via Quicktime / Audacity (with U-tap as input) and compare the sound quality ? That way we can rule out any U-tap issues.

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm not a mac person, but I suspect this issue has nothing to do with OS nor OBS hardware system at this stage of troubleshooting. then again, I could be totally wrong ;^)

Routing audio into camera, for sync reason is doable, but as @tinusriyanto noted, 'unusual'. Doing so prevents one issue, but complicates matters.
Question, when you wrote
> as I recorded the service today on a memory card and it had sound from the mixer.
I take that to mean, and please confirm, this means you directly recorded (memory card) on camera?
- How do you know the audio was from the XLR inputs vs from the camera in-body mic?
- Just curious, Have you unplugged the XLR audio cables and confirmed change in audio?
- And are the XLR cables at the right gain level for the camera?
I ask as I'm taking an analog sub-mixer from our mixer, and have to go through an adapter to adjust gain level to get input level such that it sounded good {... done by another member, with expertise in sound, which I do NOT have. I'm a InfoTech guy}. And interesting on our Tower PC, the audio inputs on the front panel worked well, with the rear mic input requiring a different level and not sounding as good... go figure).

My go-to recommendation is to get audio (and video) inputs working at Operating System (OS) level first (with OBS not running at all). And due to OS and OBS audio routing fun, I found it easier to disable all of OBS' Global (default) Audio Inputs (in OBS Settings), and create Audio inputs (referenced, not duplicated) per OBS Scene, as appropriate. Meaning i have scenes like fade to black 'Go in Peace' transition scenes at end, where I don't want audio, as well as Intro slide (becomes video thumbnail, countdown slide, etc) ... where an Audio Input isn't even in the scene.

Personally, with StreamGeek's audio video sync MP4, I found A/V syncing to be a non-issue, so I prefer audio direct to OBS computer, vs camera route like your church set up. But that is just me.

And beware audio (and various video) filter/effects in OBS. They all use CPU, and depending on make/model of your Mac that may or may not be an issue. Use MacOS System Monitor is important, and if a laptop, knowing how to detect thermal throttling, to make sure OBS computer isn't hardware resource [CPU, GPU, RAM, Disk I/O, etc] overloaded [otherwise, your just do the equivalent of driving blind-folded].

lots to consider in the above .. my approach is to take each step on its own, and confirm output, vs chaining lots of items and seeing result and not knowing where in that chain something might be wrong. For example, in our HoW, we adjusted the audio (as described above) such that OBS Audio of house mics didn't require a volume adjustment at all. That way if we have a loud or soft speaker, I can adjust level, and have room to do that without risking distortion, clipping, etc. Some day I'm hoping to switch to USB for Audio input from Mixer and get myself access to each individual channel on the OBS PC so I can selectively adjust individual mics (as mixer is on ground level, whereas our OBS screens are up in choir/pipe organ loft.

echo8287

Thanks to you guys for the input and suggestions! I like the take each step on its's own way of seeing what works and what doesn't. I mix music at home on Ableton Live and Pro Tools but am not up on video making and streaming, thus the problems. I directly recorded on the memory card in the camera and I had 2 outputs from the mixer the the inputs on the camera. I have yet to check the audio on the recording. No have not unplugged the xlr from the mixer to the camera. The gain from the xlr to the camera had a mark on the slider that someone previously placed when it was working and I left it in that position. The computer is a Mac that everything is built into the monitor. The only things it is running is OBS and Pro presenter 6 with slides and the hymn verses on a screen. I don't think it is being taxed. I will try some of the methods you describe for process elimination. I will keep learning about the system and try to narrow it down some with some decent information. Thanks to all!!!

Lawrence_SoCal

real-time video compositing is computationally intensive, and all-in-one have essentially the same thermal throttling considerations as a laptop.
So, I'm sure the system is being taxed - whether overloaded or not is TBD (probably not, but depends).
Use System Monitor (I believe it is called on MacOS) to monitor hardware resource utilization and know vs hope ;^)
Assuming this system worked fine before, getting it to work fine again should be doable. However, a caution is that the system may have been near its limits and a new OS version, or even updates, can change performance characteristics enough to be a problem (unlikely, but possible)

With a really optimized Operating System and OBS setup (meaning also, low expectations on OBS complexity and filters/effects), there are those that can livestream at 1080p30 on a 10yr old computer. ON the other hand, it isn't that hard to overwhelm a brand new US$5K workstation with OBS, so be careful with assumptions

In the last 2 years, I've had Windows 10 updates, including the audio hardware drivers updated, resulting in a need to adjust line levels on the analog interface to fix a change in audio volume level. One would think such shouldn't happen with a Tier 1 Business class PC, but ... things happen. Meaning that using a computer and OBS (vs some fixed function console) provides flexibility at the cost of needing to know how everything works together, and adjust as things change over time
What is super rare, but really needed, is documentation of the setup, the assumptions, settings, etc. especially at a House of Worship with volunteers, so that the system can be maintained over time. I created VIsio drawings, and pages of notes and instructions for our setup

Zolja007

You should use the aux outputs from the x32. Use a TRS to RCA or 1/4 cable. The TRS is for the camera which should have a "mic" input. And the RCA or 1/4 will go in the aux outputs.

Then you make a stereo or mono BUS on the x32. Then mix the audio into the camera. Viola, now the camera has sound.

Now you want to use the x32's multitrack usb output or (card out) and plug it straight to the computer. Then set up the x32 to output aux 1&2. Now you'll have sound for your computer straight from the x32.

This is a LOT more complicated than I made it sound. I've been a sound engineer for 25 years now. Streamer for 5 years. So I've had my fair share of annoying setups lol.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.19 PM.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.50 PM.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.55 PM.png
    561 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 7.59.57 PM.png
    515.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.00.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.00.02 PM.png
    559.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.00.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 8.00.08 PM.png
    543.9 KB · Views: 22

VLHOA

I recently began using OBS Studio to conduct hybrid Zoom meetings in a 250' theatre seating 300 - 400 people.
In addition to the Zoom component, we run laptop AV from either a sound booth or Stage HDMI port to a ceiling mounted projector and the house audio system over HDMI.
We have a Midas M32 sound board, which I believe is almost the same as the Berenger X32 one.
The biggest issue I had with the hybrid setup was audio quality and feedback.
When we first began testing the setup, our speakers had to use a mike to get audio thru our house system, and an iPhone running Zoom to get audio to the remote viewers. This was messy , to say the least, and the audio quality and feedback issues we had were not manageable.
Fortunately, we have the DN32-USB / Dante Card installed, and when I initially connected the USB cable from the port on the back of the board to the laptop I use for testing, which also hosts the Zoom meeting, the DN32 connection appeared, but I had no sound. There are several tutorials on Youtube detailing the soundboard routing required for this to work. Fortunately, I was able to bring in the sound tech who runs our theatrical and show performances. He was able to verify that the connection was OK, and configure the routing as needed in about 5 minutes.

Once this is set up correctly, the sound from the M32 (or X32) can be managed in OBS Studio (I would use the Audio Monitoring plugin), or directly as an audio source in Zoom or whatever streaming platform you choose. In Zoom, the DN32 connection should appear in the audio setup as one of the selectable speakers.
The only issue I had after setting this up to send audio directly to Zoom was echo, which I resolved by simply muting the laptop audio at the system tray icon.

From what I've learned, but have not yet attempted, managing the audio in OBS Studio offers several filters that can provide better audio management and quality than going directly to the streaming platform.

The Youtbe resources on this are endless. Personally, I learned everything I know thus far from Markus Presents, Scott FIchter, and StreemGeeks, however there are countless others available.

Finally, my greatest concern at this point is whether our volunteers can learn how to use this setup so I do not have to be present whenever it is needed !