I can't get Game Capture to Reliably work

toastydubbs

Log File: https://obsproject.com/logs/C4k_IUMN-t2PO36Z
Link in clickable form, sorry I'm new to this

So I've checked out the main thread about laptops having a black screen on captures, as well as a couple other posts on this site and some posts and youtube videos elsewhere, but nothing seems to work.

Game capture has worked before, but then it stopped for no clearly apparent reason. I believe I got it working one more time through a fresh install method (completely uninstalling all files related to OBS, restarting computer, then reinstalling OBS), however no matter what I try now it doesn't seem to work. I just get a black screen with the little red square in the top left corner.

Display and Window capture work on some games. But on others, seemingly older games like CS Source and STALKER Clear Sky (two games I've been using to test OBS just to figure this capture issue out) display and window captures only give me a black screen. I'm not positive if the age of the game is the problem though, as Clear Sky came out in 2008 and another game I've successfully recorded with display capture came out in 2010.

Any help on this at all would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need any more info other than the log and what I have told you here. Thanks

Edit: It just randomly cut on to the game I had in the background trying to get it to work with while I was typing this post. Heres the log

When I changed the properties from "record specific window" to "record any fullscreen window" it stopped. When I changed the property back to specific window, nothing happened EXCEPT for some reason that uh... red box that outlines the thing you're recording, the one that I only saw one point of in the top left corner? It's now blinking, but around the entirety of the preview in the position the box would normally be in

Last edited:

toastydubbs

Edit #2: So, with CS Source, for some reason it was okay with recording the game as long as I went into the game, then back out to OBS. For some reason, if I ALT+TAB into the game once its open then back out to OBS, the game will appear and seemingly record normally. However, other games like STALKER Clear Sky will not show up at all.

I'm very confused