Question / Help I can only use monitor (display) capture. Black screens.

Wise71

I know this is a common problem, but I have yet to come across a fix that works for me.

A few details:
  • Windows 10 pc
  • Asus g75vw
  • Nvidia 660m (yes im on a laptop)
  • I only have 1 graphics card.
  • I uninstalled my original obs and reinstalled the newer version for 64bit
Basically, whenever i attempt to record a window or game capture, i just get a black screen. The only exception is if im recording windows explorer. Other than that, i just get a black screen when attempting to display any other window/game (i.e chrome or LoL).

I wanted to record my spotify window (inside joke), but i could only select spotify.exe under game capture.

When i switch over to monitor, or display capture as it's now called, it will show everything. I can see chrome, spotify, etc.

I've tried running in compatibility mode as well as the Nvidia control panel fix. However, when attempting the control panel fix, i don't see the option to " use the nvidia ("performance") adapter." as stated in this thread:

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/laptop-black-screen-when-capturing-read-here-first.5965/

I've linked to 2 screenshots. The first displays me attempting a window capture of chrome along side a window capture of explorer. the chrome one is black, while the explorer one is visible. The second screenshot shows me using the display capture, in which all windows are visible.
4VKL9
<- right click this, open image in new tab

I don't know what log i should attach, if any, so let me know and i will add it afterwards.

Wise71

I think I solved it. I hate when I ask for help and then solve it 5 minutes later on my own lol. Hardware acceleration seems to be the problem, at least in spotify can chrome's case.