Humming coming over livestream

Gina Marie

Hi everyone,
I hope this is where I'm suppose to post this. When listening to our church livestrem, there's always a humming sound the listener hears along with the speakers. I can't figure out what's causing it. You can listen to them on our YouTube channel at ALCLathrop. Thank you for any help you can give me.
The log file is https://obsproject.com/logs/eaaeuLlIu3iaOqTI

rockbottom

Humming is almost always caused by a bad ground. It could be the mic array, a ground loop in the set-up, something not plugged in all the way or even the building electrical service. Monitor OBS audio or do a local recording, I suspect you'll hear it.

rockbottom

Check Marshall PTZ & there looks like a bad file maybe in one of the slideshows. Lots of these errors in the log.
18:59:00.946: Marshall PTZ: Error decoding video
18:59:09.778: warning: Found EOI before any SOF, ignoring
18:59:09.778: fatal: No JPEG data found in image
18:59:09.778: Marshall PTZ: Error decoding video
18:59:12.426: User switched to scene 'Back camera'
18:59:29.090: warning: Found EOI before any SOF, ignoring
18:59:29.090: fatal: No JPEG data found in image

Last edited:

rockbottom

There's some rendering & encoding lag. The UHD 630 needs a driver update & is a better option for encoding, right now you're using x264.

20:41:27.264: Output 'adv_stream': stopping
20:41:27.264: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 276890
20:41:27.264: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 276495 (276953 attempted)
20:41:27.264: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 458 (0.2%)
20:41:27.265: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 95/276922 (0.0%)

Correcting the errors above should help. Avast could be slowing things down too.
18:58:38.509: Avast Antivirus: enabled (AV)
18:58:38.510: Avast Antivirus: enabled (FW)

As rockbottom stated, the hum is most likely in the audio signal path before it gets to OBS.

One typical setup is to get audio from the mixer of the sound system that feeds the speakers in the worship space. A cable runs from there to the audio interface on the streaming computer. Ideally, the connection should use what is called a "balanced output" from the mixer, and fed to a balanced input on the audio interface via a balanced (usually TRS) cable. If your equipment doesn't have balanced inputs and outputs, you can get devices called "ground loop isolators" than can serve a similar role when placed between the audio source and the computer's interface.

Your log references "microphone array." Is this literally a microphone (or multiple microphones) used for streaming that ISN'T part of the sound system that feeds the speakers in the worship space? If so, microphones can pick up hum SOUND from nearby electrical devices: lighting fixtures, ventilation fans, computer fans etc.

You can use Windows Sound Recorder app, or even Zoom, to listen to your audio input without OBS running. Just be sure to select the appropriate audio input (rather than a built-in laptop mic etc)

If you care to tell us your audio devices, and the distance from the audio source to the streaming computer, we may be able to offer more detailed suggestions.

Gina Marie

I added "Noise Suppression" filter and helped though I'm noticing a sound now that sounds like either underwater sounds or an airplane motor. You only hear it when no one is using the mics. I also have the volume as high as it can go and on the sound board seems high also but it's not as loud on the livestream. I have to turn the volume on my tablet all the way up to hear it yet the voices sound like if you turn your radio so loud it's straining the speakers.
I also added a picture of how the view on OBS is so zoomed in yet it's not on the livestream. I can't figure out now to get the OBS screen back to normal.
I sorry if I'm needing so much help. I'm not as computer savy as I used to be.
Thanks a million!
OBS view.jpg
OBS log

https://obsproject.com/logs/1CwHBM0tMQRQ1fEi
YouTube livestream

Gina Marie

Okay so I ran an analysis on the OBS log and it said:
Warning Integrated GPU
OBS is running on an Intel iGPU. This hardware is generally not powerful enough to be used for both gaming and running obs. Situations where only sources from e.g. cameras and capture cards are used might work.
Warning Mismatched Sample Rates
At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Microphone (Sound Blaster Audigy Fx): 48000 Hz
Warning Wrong YUV Color Range
Having the YUV Color range set to "Full" will cause playback issues in certain browsers and on various video platforms. Shadows, highlights and color will look off. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Limited".

So I changed the Sample Rates to 48000 on computer and OBS so they matched and the color range to limited. Not sure how to fix the GPU if I need to. Hopefully this might help some. I also set the computer audio and OBS to Mono instead of stereo. I read somewhere that its better in Mono. Is that right or should I leave them on Stereo?

Even though soundboard is off, all batteries are out of the mics, and all the speakers in church are off, the audio on OBS is still showing audio coming through.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the GPU - your AREN'T running a game and streaming, and we stream happily with a less powerful computer than you have.

Your YouTube recording has really low audio level, and the hum is classic "noise on the line from the sound system." The audio level meter in your screen shot (bright green bar) shows -35 dB, which is really low given that the image shows someone speaking: it should normally be in the yellow region. At minimum, move the OBS audio mixer control (white knob on blue bar) all the way to the right to get another 5 dB, though that won't solve the problem.

Where does your audio come from, and how is it connected to the computer? Your log shows "Sound Blaster Audigy Fx". That has unbalanced input. If your streaming computer is a few feet from the source of the audio, and plugged into the same AC output, that MIGHT give a hum-free signal. But if the cable runs any distance, you really want a balanced cable and matching transformer, or a ground loop isolator to eliminate the hum.

Check Windows Sound Settings for the Sound Blaster input: make sure that it is turned up. Otherwise the sound fed to OBS will be low. If Windows level is OK, you need a louder signal from your sound system.

If you are getting a feed from your churches sound system, see if the mixer has a spare bus with balanced output. Consider replacing your Sound Blaster with an audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett, or even a Behringer or M-Audio if money is a problem. These have balanced XLR inputs, which you can feed from a balanced XLR output from your sound system.

Who runs your sound system? Most churches have someone who knows basic sound system connections - maybe a musician, even someone with a home studio. Or post gear details here and we can offer more specific suggestions

Gina Marie

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. Actually, that picture was from this past Wed service. Today I had the audio all the way to the right and still wasn't real loud. I had a hard time hearing it on my noise cancelling headphones. I run the live stream, the media for service and the soundboard. My pastor and his wife will come in and adjust it during music practice since she leads the worship though they haven't watched the videos I recommend to them on the training. The Sound Blaster Audigy Fx is a new sound/audio card put in the pc. It is plugged in to the Aux 3 with a cord/cable.
Here's pictures of the soundboard settings, the sound system settings on the computer.
Soundboard.jpg
HDMI extender.jpg
Microphone.jpg
All sound devices.jpg
audio meter.jpg
Soundboard.jpg
HDMI extender.jpg
Microphone.jpg
All sound devices.jpg
audio meter.jpg

I am thinking that the hum is a secondary problem: once we figure out why the volume level is so low, it may go away or be much less noticeable.

Since the connectors are on the back of the mixer, and maybe hard to see labels, it is worth making sure you ARE connected to AUX3, rather than AUX4, or GROUP 3... Been there, done that :)

What happens if you temporarily disable all the OBS audio filters? It is possible to mis-adjust compressor or limiter settings in a way that could mess up your level.

I see that the AUX3 sends on the input channels are mostly set at around 4 of 10. Turning them up could give you SOME more level, though probably not enough. "Line level" on pro gear like the MG20XU is considerably higher than "line level" on home gear like the SoundBlaster. so there OUGHT TO BE plenty of level. If you don't get SOME change in level when you change the sends, that tells you something else is wrong.

Are AUX1 and 2 going to musician's monitors or similar? You might try a temporary swap: connect AUX3 output to a musician's monitor to check level and make sure that AUX 3 isn't faulty. Connect the AUX1 or 2 output to the streaming computer to see if the level is any better.

Another test: find a phone, iPad or boom box with an earphone jack. Adjust for comfortable earphone volume from music or a podcast. Then swap out the earphones for a cable to the streaming computer and see if it is too quiet like the mixer connection

Last edited:
Your original post was about hum. The first log showed the computer as an i5-0400, and audio device as "Microphone Array".
The most recent log shows the computer as an i9-11900K and audio device "SoundBlaster"

I looked some of your previous recorded streams on YouTube. If right-click during a playback, "stats for geeks" shows various things, including the average audio level. A month or so ago, these were in the -3 to -8 dB range, and they don't need to be turned up to hear them. That is pretty reasonable: the level will often vary from one service to the next depending on what songs are sung, etc.

But the April 10 service was -20 dB; April 14 -16 dB; April 17 -21.6 dB; April 21 -30. Does the decrease correlate to any changes in equipment or settings?

Gina Marie

Hello,
We were using the SoundBlaster sound card in the computer that went from the computer to the Aux 3 on the soundboard.
Wednesday night I totally uninstalled OBS and then reinstalled it because the view on OBS was different than what everyone was seeing and I couldn't get it fixed even though I removed the camera and reinstalled it. I let it install the automatic settings it said would fit the computer.
The color and view improved a lot but I couldn't check the audio because it was after midnight and we have apartments above us.

Today I ran a test run today and the audio was horrible!! Then my pastor told me to plug in the audio adapted we were using before and not use the SoundBlaster. All the sudden the audio sounded better than it has in long time. It wasn't perfect but better.

But then when the speaker started preaching after the songs, the gargle sound came back. I turned up the volume and it kinda helped but didn't sound as well as the song part.

I was trying to see if I could pull up the log file from the test run and the log file from the service to have you see both.
So right now our audio is running from the Plugable USB Audio Device that's plugged into a usb port in front of the computer to the soundboard.
I'm posting the "previous" log file and Current one.

I had the volume all the way to the right most of the time and just lowered it a little a few times because it was staying in the red a lot.

You should be able to test OBS without making noise in your space: on your mixer, turn down the "Stereo" fader in the lower right (or press the button just above the fader), and your main speakers should be silent. If Aux1 and Aux2 go to musician's monitors, turn their "SEND MASTER" knobs down to silence those monitors. (and if you are forgetful as I am, stick a large PostIt note to the mixer to remind you restore the settings when you are done...) You only need Aux3, which feeds OBS. You can play iPad, use the mics etc. with no local sound.

In your stream from April 28, there are bunch of instances where the audio volume drops abruptly for half a second or so. Your preachers are pretty passionate, so I can imagine an audio peak triggering a mis-configured compressor or other audio filter. The one-knob compressors in you mixer are set pretty conservatively, and I presume there is just a cable between the mixer and the OBS computer, so it would be good see how the OBS filters are configured.

Would you be willing to share a copy of your Scene Collection here? That would let us look at your audio filter parameters. Your YouTube credentials are in your Profile, so there shouldn't be any security issues in the Scene Collection. In OBS, select "Scene Collection", "Export." You will be prompted to save a .json file. Then use "Attach files" here to send it.

I note that the fader for mixer channel 19/20 is turned up, presumably to play audio via USB from a computer into the space (unless the channel is turned off by button - I can't tell in the photo). But the Aux3 send for channel 19/20 is turned all the way down, so any audio from that USB connection won't be sent to OBS. Probably not related to your streaming audio issues, but...