Question / Help How to stream from Sony HDR-CX675 to OBS Studio....

Jim Flannery

Hi!
I am trying to stream from my new camcorder. I know it has this ability via WiFi.... but I'm concerned that Sony's software may restrict me to only stream to UStream. When I open the Sony software called "PlayMemories Home" and go to Network Settings, the only option there to connect to is UStream. Has anyone does this before to go through OBS Studio?

The Sony help file seems to suggest UStream is my only option (at $99/month for 720p streaming). http://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1610/v1/en/contents/TP0000949167.html

I did read the manuel a little and it's written very confusing. There might be a option to set a custom rtmp server in the setup, try looking around and clicking on stuff.
I would recommend to get a capture card and connect the camera over HDMI. Will get you a better picture and lower latency.

Jim Flannery

So this would be to connect via a Cable rather than over Wifi.... so maybe that is a better all-around way to go about this anyways?

Jim Flannery

So maybe the approach here.... would be to BUY a capture card and then RENT a wireless transmitter.

Any suggestions on capture cards? I've got a Lenovo Legion Y520. It's a brand new, but low-budget gaming laptop.

Personally i have pretty good experience with the Elgato stuff (would go with the hd60s). You could also go with a USB 3 Capture Card from Magewell, depending on what output the wireless receiver has. There is also Avermedia and Startech.

Jim Flannery

I'm looking at the Elgato HD60-S... the only limitation is it doesn't have H.264 encoding, which is weird, because the lower-end HD60 model does have it. The main benefit of the HD60-S seems to be that you upgrade to the USB 3.0 instead of 2.0.

Which brings me to my next question... when I look at the specs:
Input: Playstation 4, XBox One, Nintendo Switch
Output: HDMI
Interface: USB 3.0

So.... I'm going from my camcorder, which outputs with an HDMI.... and then into this capture card.... but the capture card looks like it takes a video games input and exports HDMI. So that's really confusing to me... because I'm already exporting HDMI from the camcorder. It seems like I need something that takes my HDMI and sends it via USB into my laptop, no?

The H264 encoding wouldn't even work with obs, only in elgato's own software so you don't lose anything.
The HD60s is just a capture card with HDMI input and a hdmi loop out(The "gaming input" is just their marketing). You simply connect your camera or wireless receiver into the capture card with a hdmi cable and you get a new "webcam" on the computer that you can use in obs.
I would definitely go with a usb 3 capture card over a usb 2 one because you get a lot lower latency from the input.

Jim Flannery

So the next step up is the "Pro" which says it connects via PCIe x1... what exactly is one of these? I'm not even sure my laptop has one. Maybe you're right that the USB3 is the way to go.

Jim Flannery

This thing arrived QUICK....Issue: For me, my Elgato device doesn't show up in OBS Studio.... it's not on my list of devices to add as a Source.
It does work through the Elgato Game Capture HD Software tho.... any idea why it wouldn't be appearing in OBS Studio?