Question / Help How to stream Doom Eternal on Linux

fanatacist

I had trouble getting this working at first - thankfully, the fine folks over at the Discord channel were able to get me up and running.

For reference, I am running the game on Pop! OS, using Steam with linux support, Proton (GE version), and an i9-9900 with a 2080 Ti card.

After going through the regular installation steps to get the game working in single-player mode, I installed OBS Studio (I recommend at least version 25), and ran the automatic configuration to select resolution for me. I went with the larger base canvas resolution (3840x2160), which then downscaled to 1920x1080.

The trickiest thing about the setup is that because Doom Eternal runs within Wine, I cannot ALT+TAB to go back into OBS, to select the window to capture!

Furthermore, using the "Screen Capture (XSHM)" did not work, and resulted in a black screen after launching the game.

My solution was to change the game to run in "Windowed (Borderless)" mode, ALT+TAB out to enable a "Window Capture (Xcomposite)" source in OBS, then kill the process, then relaunch the game. Another point of confusion for me was that there is no "Game Capture" functionality in the Linux versions of OBS Studio.

I hope this helps anyone else attempting to stream this game on *nix, and I had 0 degredation of gameplay while broadcasting. Happy gaming!