How to run as admin?

BrickPants

Minecraft kept crashing while using it in OBS, and I read that the only way to fix it is to run OBS as Admin, but I have no Idea how to do that. I've seen it say to "search OBS" and I searched it in quick access. I was able to right click it and run as admin, but it looks like it was going to completely re install it. And then when I got to the Install progress bar, it says it couldn't because Windows Outlook was using it, I don't even know what Windows Outook is, so I I wasn't even able to do it. I searched it up, and it said to not run it as admin, so I don't even know if that's what I'm meant to do. How do I run OBS as admin, and if that is how, what's with the Windows Outlook thing? Thank you.

FerretBomb

To run as Admin, right-click the shortcut you normally use to start OBS and select 'Run as Administrator'.
It sounds like when you searched, you clicked on the installer file, not the shortcut to start the already-installed version.

Lawrence_SoCal

When you 'run as admin', that means you'll be running under a different user context/profile .. that should NOT entail a re-install (unless using Portable mode). but any OBS settings in your User profile obviously don't exist in the Admin profile

Why does run as admin help - it helps prioritize OBS over other tasks and addresses a GPU scheduling issue, both apply when trying to do more with OBS than your PC is capable of. And can create a security risk in the process.. so 'Running as Admin' is something I don't do

Do yourself a favor,
- first check your Startup (tab in Task Manager) and turn off (disable auto start) unnecessary items [you will have research to do, you can mess yourself up if stop things you shouldn't]
real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. Unless you have a powerful PC and lots of RAM, you may need to optimize your Operating System
- and then do a reboot (to make sure all other processes cleanly shutdown), and don't start other Apps until you have OBS running properly
And then Close, don't minimize Apps you aren't using (ex Outlook) while running OBS if your system is under-powered

BrickPants

To run as Admin, right-click the shortcut you normally use to start OBS and select 'Run as Administrator'.
It sounds like when you searched, you clicked on the installer file, not the shortcut to start the already-installed version.
I clicked "run as administrator" on my desktop Icon and nothing happened. Is it meant to open up, or do you click that and then open it up?

qhobbes

To run OBS as Admin, right click on the shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok. Then double-click on shortcut and you should get a prompt.