How to reduce microphone sensitivity

Mr Rotch

I googled how to reduce my microphone sensitivity for OBS, and people said to use the noise gate filter. I'm pretty much a noob at this stuff, so I'm not sure how the filter works.

Also I feel like I should point out that by 'reduce sensitivity', I don't mean make my microphone more quiet with the slider, I mean I want to stop it from picking up nose exhales and audible spit in my mouth when I talk lol.

koala

This isn't anything that can/should be influenced by some filter but by handling the microphone in an appropriate way.
  • don't put the mic directly in front of your mouth but a little bit to the right or to the left. This avoids air noises.
  • ideal distance between mouth and mic is 5 cm, maximum 10 cm. This enables you to reduce the mic volume, so unwanted side noises aren't picked up. The more far away your mouth from the mic, the more quiet your room has to be to not pick up unwanted noises. If it's more than 10-20 cm away, you usually pick up mouse clicks and keyboard keystrokes.
  • some mics have pop filters, usually standalone table mics.
  • if you have a standalone mic, your room has to be exceptionally quiet. It's also important to decouple a mic stand from the table, otherwise the table acts as a sounding board and amplifies anything that is put onto it, i. e. mouse, keyboard, yourself shuffling stuff on the table.

WaterTheBoy

To summarize this video, there's a cog next to your mics monitor level bar thingy with the fun colors.
Click that, then filters, then you'll see a tiny plus button. Click that, the Noise Gate. The default settings for it should be fine, but I'd recommend messing with the scroll bar things.
It'll cut off sounds below a certain sound level.