Question / Help How To Record PS3/PS4 Gameplay Using OBS on Mac for Free?

Dyegreenluke

The title is basically my question.
How To Record PS3/PS4 Gameplay Using OBS on Mac for Free?

I want to do this so I can start recording on consoles.

Harold

No it's not. You need additional hardware to get the feed from the ps3/ps4 into the computer.

Chidorin

Whatever, you're not helpful..
seems you lack some knowledge, it's ok. You can google to find standard way to capture and then be more specific because may be Harold and I didn't understand you correctly what you want? stream your ps4 games, local record, connect it to mac? So the question is what you want to do? Just capture, then you need capture card. Stream to twitch, then there is built-in function in ps4 as I know. If you want to edit recorded video you can just make local record on PS4 upload it to youtube/facebook or usb HDD and then download it to you mac

Harold

It's kind of hard to be helpful with someone whose assumptions about how things work are wrong.

Dyegreenluke

Yeah, but if I hook it up to a mac I can record with voice and HD.
And I've seen tutorials on where they have to just hook up some cords to maybe a HDMIconverter box and than BAM they have it..

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
I've already had one user come into the support channel complaining about poor quality after someone recommended that instead of buying a proper capture card he should buy a C920 instead and point it at the screen. I can't believe someone would actually suggest this and I don't think you're doing people any favors by presenting it as a viable alternative.

The other options of recording without a capture card appear similarly ridiculous. Using a recording-capable DVD player? "Plug in the red white and blue cables directly into your PC"? And then the "Free Downloadable Console Recorder" which is completely unrelated to using OBS in any way.

Edit: Actually none of these have anything to do with OBS except "point a webcam at your TV" so I guess while bad they're also irrelevant.

amsyar ZeRo

@Sapiens Ok,the first link,just abandon it.A piece of crap.

Second,point a webcam?I thought it said use a camera.Webcams are going to make it worse.

Also,yeah,these were not related to OBS,but I suggested it as an alternative way.Just trying to help.

And @Dyegreenluke ,conclusion is,just buy a capture card.Problem solved.

Dyegreenluke

Ok, well I see why I need a capture card now.
The thing is IDK any cheap capture cards, and as it is still a few more years until I can have a job, I don't know how to do this.

Narcogen

Wait until you can afford two of these, then buy a real capture card. If you don't, you'll likely wish you had.