How to record only a specific part of the screen instead of the whole screen?

Cherryblos

How to record only a specific part of the screen instead of the whole screen?

It would save a lot of disk space in case one could choose somehow only some speecific area on the screen and one would not need to record everything seen on a website etc.

I have tried to check the settings but am unable to figure out how to choose only a part of the screen!
Earlier I used Apowersoft Rec and the it was easy to choose for recording exactly that part of the screen one really needen.

Thank you for further advice!

Cherryblos

Takyano, Thank you for your quick answer! I understand for words but I am unable to do that! :) E.g. in case the address of my browser is e.g. youtube.com and I would like to record only one corner of the site or video

This is how I know to do:
I open my OBS and there I have now three sources: one for my microphone, one for the video sound and one for the whole screen.
Then I start recording and I need to go the the site I need to record (otherwise OBS will only record Obs settings etc)

But when I am back to the site I need to record, I am unable to crop to part of it that is needed. Instead OBS will record the whole of the screen.

As far as I understand I should be able to do the croping while I see the OBS on my screen,
however, then I am totally unable to see the website which I would need to crop a part of! :)

I am sorry, I am just so newbie with this OBS! So I do not understand how am I able to see my the site in my browser inside of the OSB?
I quess I possible should need to add some fourth source? But of all possibilities I am unable to find the one that would aloud me to see the specific site I need to crop, in that OBS main table?

So thankful in case you or some other one would possible help me from this stuck further!

takyano

Instead of capturing the entire display using a Display Capture Source, you could use a Window Capture Source and select the your Browser window.

Or, OBS does have a Browser Source that you can use as well. That requires you to Right click on the Source in the Preview or the Source list and select Interact in the menu that pops up if you want to be able to click on links or scroll the page.

1. Remove the Display Capture Source and try using a Window Capture.
  2. Select the Browser Window name as the window to capture.
  3. If all you see is a red dot at the top of the screen, Ctrl-F will resize the Window Capture Source to fit the size of the output you have selected.
  4. Then you can hold the ALT key down while dragging the borders to crop down to what you want.
  5. You can fine tune this by editing the Transform settings, CTRL-E

Cherryblos

Dear takyano, Thank you so much again! <3 I will try your advice! :) Now only I have to hurry up first to my other daily tasks! Have a great day so far you'll get some more feedback!

Cherryblos

Takyano, I am so happy to tell you that your advice have solved the problem I wrote about!

It all started to open from that correct source you told about, Window capture! I so wish some other one would found your detailed advice!
OBS is not the most easy for a new user although and may be that's why while it has so many choices and possibilities! But what a great feeling and joy when someone comes and helps ober the barrie! All the best to you takyano! Thank you! <3

amenzer

Instead of capturing the entire display using a Display Capture Source, you could use a Window Capture Source and select the your Browser window.

Or, OBS does have a Browser Source that you can use as well. That requires you to Right click on the Source in the Preview or the Source list and select Interact in the menu that pops up if you want to be able to click on links or scroll the page.

1. Remove the Display Capture Source and try using a Window Capture.
  2. Select the Browser Window name as the window to capture.
  3. If all you see is a red dot at the top of the screen, Ctrl-F will resize the Window Capture Source to fit the size of the output you have selected.
  4. Then you can hold the ALT key down while dragging the borders to crop down to what you want.
  5. You can fine tune this by editing the Transform settings, CTRL-E
Created an account just to give you a like. Thanks mate.