How to record only a small webcam window and voice?

Trollercoaster

Hey,

I have some gameplay footage that I recorded when I didn't yet have webcam. Now I would like to add voiceovers spiced up with a webcam on them. How do I do that? My microphone is set up, and I have sized and placed the webcam correctly as a "Video Capture Device" that only takes a small part of the window.

The problem is that when I try to record like this, the webcam shows correctly but OBS records the rest of the screen as black, and it can't be used as an extra layer on the video software because it covers the gameplay footage under it.

What I would want, is the black background to be "transparent" or only a small part of the screen be recorded so I could just add it as a layer on my video editing software on top of the gameplay footage. Any tips?

Thanks

koala

Don't record your webcam as small part of the window. Instead, use the video editing software for resizing and positioning the webcam. So record your webcam in OBS fullscreen. Make the webcam occupy the complete canvas. No borders should be visible. If you want it more quadratic and not rectangular, change the canvas size accordingly and crop the webcam source. Imagine you're recording the small webcam only.
Then load both videos into your video editing software, put the webcam video above the gameplay video, resize the webcam video and make it as small as you want it, and move it to the corner where you want it.