Question / Help How to monitor OBS output audio.

doman18

Is there any possibility to monitor audio that is going out from OBS to stream? I want it to monitor live so i cant use youtube or twitch preview as they have huge delay. I monitor mixer itself but sometimes when i messing arround with cam drivers they switch as default in Reaper instead of mixer drivers and i cant hear that when i listen mixer itself. Also once in a time even though i mute input device down, red bars are disabled but sound is still on.

So any ideas?

JordanBoswood

Hi Jim,

Recently started using OBS however for a purpose I am sure was not intended. We use OBS preview mode to stream to our projector. It works great and I am surprised how well everything adapts to what we needed.

The problem with this is currently we either have to use a 2nd audio program or in some cases a 2nd computer to play audio ( one person transitioning scenes and hitting the audio at the exact time can be difficult).

Is there any work around you could suggest for OBS 0.14.1 that will allow me to preview sound? I see that it has been stated it is on a todo list just trying to source other options until it is compelted.

Thanks for OBS!

doman18

Well there is some workarround but needs quite an effort. You need to have second PC or good PC to handle streaming and virtual machine. On virtual machine/second PC you setup linux (Debian, Ubuntu, whatever) and install nginx server. On nginx you setup RTMP protocol and then you fork the stream. One stream goes to target server (youtube, twitch, liveleak etc) and second one you grab with VLC. I cant say what is the delay but since you streaming locally (same pc or LAN) it shouldnt be large. All depends how fast nginx handle the stream.

But I didnt do it because it seems too much effort for result - im not desperated so much. Here is step by step guide if you are still interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YGzkD1Su7Q

//EDIT
Remember that OBS Studio has thing like "Media Source". You can setup a separate scene for particular movie, put there your Media Source, set your video with audio and play it when you switch the scene. It still lacks some feature like XSplit - play queue or playing particular part of video, but still is much comfortable than manual playing with external video players.

Last edited:

Tony Topper

Monitoring audio in OBS would be a sweet upgrade. I could really use it to help debug this problem I am having with my iConnectAudio4+ when using it with OBS Studio.

Rev. Ratspeed

I third fourth and fifth this motion as of January 2017! Audio monitoring is extremely helpful. The biggest problem developing it is going to be latency. Only analog has ever gone without latency, so it's going to be a huge challenge finding a software solution.

Manolo06

That would be very useful for me to know what you've done to you the projetor.

I need to use an output video signal (with a splitter after to put on a TV).

Thank you VERY VERY VERY much !

Manuel

hi jordan

charlie360x

Audio monitoring is on the todo list -- though still probably not for a patch or two at the very least. I realize it's a problem for people who need to check on the capture.

Hello - Audio monitoring tool or plugin would be amazing for OBS. Just wanted to ask if this is something that you are still considering and will it be released in the nearest future?

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
We don't have estimates for releases, internally or otherwise ("when it's done"). That said, major releases (such as v18) tend to come out once every few months.

Raul

THIS THREAD IS ALIVEEEEE... COME TO MEEEEE FRANKEN AUDIO!

I found where to set the monitor device but there is any thread on where to enable the monitor feature for specific audio sources?

Raul

If you are looking where it is:

Upper menus -> Edit Menu -> Advanced Audio properties -> YOu can now select which one to output...

I dont think the OBS guy knows how UTTERLY important this feature is... I mean... UOUUUU

mariomnts

Hello:

It would be great if there was an option to set all the audio to "monitor" by default. When you are using the monitor audio of the computer to external audio to a room it is really helpful.

Thanks,
Mario