How to fully control hotkeys in OBS

Sonophoto

I'm working on commentary / reaction video and I have configured the hotkeys to use <spacebar> to play and pause a media source. It works great BUT it also pulls up the settings dialog (I'm using studio mode). How do I turn off <spacebar> from triggering the settings dialog??? There is no setting for this in the hotkeys dialog and it doesn't even indicate a conflict condition. I did find a "basic.ini" in the ~/.config/obs-studio/basic/profiles/Untitled with a [Hotkeys] section but nothing showing a configuration for this.

Thanks. I'm new to obs and trying to sort out these details...

(logfile not needed for this question, not included)

Sonophoto

Huh... What it actually appears to be doing when I press <spacebar> is repeat whatever action I last clicked on. So if I last clicked on transition, when I press <spacebar> it stops the video and pulls up the menu for setting the transition behavior... WTF?

AaronD

Huh... What it actually appears to be doing when I press <spacebar> is repeat whatever action I last clicked on. So if I last clicked on transition, when I press <spacebar> it stops the video and pulls up the menu for setting the transition behavior... WTF?
That's standard behavior for any app, and most of it probably comes from the operating system, not the app itself. <spacebar> and <enter> both activate the currently-selected control, and the control selection is moved by <tab>, <shift><tab>, sometimes the arrow keys, or whatever you clicked on last. It's really nice to be able to zip around a UI like that and be done quickly.

The "tab order", as it's called, is set by the app (some apps are better at this than others), and the selection can be moved programmatically as well, so it can respond to, for example, the first letter of each item in a selected list or something like that. Even a lot of *that*, is baked into the standard building blocks that the developers just use as they are, so changing their behavior would effectively amount to a custom rewrite of those blocks that already work and are practically bug-free at the moment. Best to stick with the standard that is known to work and is completely smothered in documentation about *how* it works.

If you don't want that behavior, either click somewhere else so that the selection goes to something inert, or use a different hotkey.

Last edited: