Question / Help How to disable ffmpeg vaapi?

mathew7

Hello,
So, I just got a 3900x for a 2nd transcoding PC, which I made to work immediately with NDI plugin. Win10 PC -> Ubuntu PC -> VLC PC.
But no matter what parameters I sent to libx264 (not even preset), quality (horrible 6Kbps) and CPU usage (<10%?) does not change. It took me 4-5 hours to realize that my GT1030s temperature goes up 5-6C whenever I start a stream; so it means NVENC is used.

Logs say FFMPEG with VAAPI is supported, but I can't pass "hwaccel none" to ffmpeg. How can I disable this? All searches lead me to "enabling" HW accel, not disabling.

I'm using Recording->Custom output (ffmpeg) with output URL. I don't see any HW acceleration options, and I can only pass transport/video/audio parameters.
Trying to remove libvaapi or libvdpau1 wants to also remove ffmpeg and obs-studio, so I need a runtime option (no, I don't want to recompile; I could, but I don't want that maintenance nightmare)

Have a nice day!

Harold

GT1030s don't actually have nvenc.

The GPU usage spike may come from increased GPU use for scene composition.

mathew7

GT1030s don't actually have nvenc.

The GPU usage spike may come from increased GPU use for scene composition.
Can't be....I have a single NDI source which is shown in OBS screen even when recording is off. I'm at the proof-of-concept stage.
It may not be "NVENC", but deffinately an h264 GPU acceleration.
CPU usage is at single-digit on a 3900x and preset changes nothing.

mathew7

Interesting, I thought it's a half-disabled 1050 with partial (HW there but disabled/reduced) nvenc, but I see it's a completely different chip.
Anyways, I tried with actual streaming to twitch and I see GPU temps still rise (but presets can be changed with proportional quality and CPU usage).
So, "recording" to mpegts+UDP seems to have a CPU usage like ultrafast, but even ultrafast to twitch has better quality than custom recording.