Question / Help How to broadcast Zoom meeting via OBS on Mac

Heidi Hornlein

For weeks I try to figure out how to do that with the help of several people, but I don't get it to work because I simply don't understand how to set things up.

I have downloaded IShowUAudiocapture, and Lineln, but what to do with those? Where and how do they enter into the set up?

I finally succeeded to have a Multi output device showing up in my preferences panel, I chose Built-in Output and IShowuAudio capture in the Midi set up for that one.

I have no audio whatsoever coming over from zoom, even when I chose there IShowuAudio capture as output, instead I have the audio of a browser source on the same Mic/Aux as my Mic, same thing with a Media source, recording both audios together even when I have transitioned to another scene.

I guess I would need to understand IN DETAIL how these things work and how they need to be set up in Zoom AND in OBS. I am getting quite desperate, all my support people use Windows and therefore cannot really help me with Mac.

Narcogen

iShowU creates a virtual audio device. Set this as your default output in the Sound control panel. This will send audio from Zoom to a place where OBS can see it.

In OBS, add iShowU as a sound input-- either in the Sound panel in Settings, or as an individual sound source in a scene. This is up to your preference given how you usually use OBS.

If you create a multi-output device in MIDI Setup and it contains IShowU and your headphones, you can skip this step-- you just set this device as your default device, and OBS should be able to capture it and you should be able to hear it. If not, then use Line In.

Open Line In. Under "input from" select IShowU.

Under "Output to" select whatever hardware device you are using to listen to. This should be headphones plugged into either a headphone port or a USB adapter (if you have USB headphones or headset). If you don't, there's going to be echoes/feedback that will negatively affect either your Zoom call, your stream, or both.

It's also unclear what your objective is-- are you broadcasting a Zoom call for non-participants in the call to watch/hear? Are any of your Zoom participants expected to be watching/listening to the stream?

Heidi Hornlein

Thank you so much for this detailed tutorial. I will try it out and see if I finally will make it. Your advice is very precious, especially for people like me who don't particularly love tech-issues...

Setting IShowU or multi-output as default output in the computer: I guess this needs to be done every time I do the streaming and after that reversed? I noticed when I had set it to the Multi-output device, then I couldn't regulate the volume of the speakers. Right?

Narcogen

Yes; the same is true of using LineIn or SoundFlower.

One way around this is the Rogue Amoeba program called SoundSource. It does the same thing as LineIn plus a few extra tricks and does have volume controls for the hardware you're using to monitor a source.

Heidi Hornlein

SoundSource seems to be a great tool. Thank you!
with bringing zoom into obs I try to substitute Google Hangouts on air which are not very reliable anymore and are often a problem for bringing in show guests into the green room. That's why I am trying to make it run this way. Zoom has not the live broadcast feature, except for a lot of money. The audience is supposed to watch on our website via Youtube Live stream (OBS) and, later, also on Twitch when we have figured things out enough in our group to collaborate as hosts there.

Heidi Hornlein

I think I must be especially handicapped here. What you write seems so understandable and I believe I have done what you said. I tried both ways, with Soundsource and with an extry audio input for the zoom scene in OBS. But no sound comes over to OBS from Zoom. I send you the screenshot of the last trial I did, from all 3 places and maybe you can tell me what is so wrong about it.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Zoom.png
    Zoom.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,077
  • OBS.png
    OBS.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,118
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 16.44.32.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 16.44.32.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,709

Heidi Hornlein

PS. I have SoundSource active now, but the volume is not changeable when on Multi-output devide, neither from keyboard, nor from the Soundsource panel...???

Narcogen

From SS's menubar item, choose the "open playthrough window" option.

Choose "input" the source you want to hear.
Choose "output" as your monitoring device (headphones).

Below "output" there should be a volume slider.

To monitor this way you don't need a multi-output device OR LineIn; you just directly listen to the virtual device (iShowU) that OBS is recording.

Heidi Hornlein

Thank you so much, this helped a lot!
I now get the video and the voices of the others from zoom over to OBS and from there to Youtube, but my voice is not there. I tried to add a voice source to the scene with the zoom with my mic chosen, but it didn't help.
So my question: where in the setup process do I make sure that I am heard, too, when talking on zoom with the others?

Thanks again
Heidi

Narcogen

Go to Edit > Advanced Audio Properties. This is the mixer. Check which audio channels you have each of your audio devices assigned to, and then check in your Output settings which audio tracks you are streaming.

Generally speaking you can record multiple discrete audio tracks for editing later, but you have to choose which audio track to stream. You can assign multiple devices to that track, but you can't stream multiple tracks.

If you've added a source for your mic and you see the VU meters move when you talk but your voice does not show up in the stream, check the track assignments to make sure you're telling OBS to include that audio device on the streaming track.

For some reason I can't get Ishowu to show up in the multi output area. I've tried installing it 2 times-thinking gatekeeper buggered it first time- both times got message that install was succesful. Sierra 10.13.4

Narcogen

Sorry I can't help more; I've never used iShowU. I've used SoundFlower and LoopBack.

When you say multi output area, do you mean the OBS Advanced Audio Properties mixer, or are you creating a multi-output device in MIDI Setup?

Heidi Hornlein

Thank you Narcogen for trying to help me.
I have abandoned the issue for a while because other things were more important. But I did get a little nearer to success by using soundsource. One of the issues were resolved, don't remember which one, but still it didn't work for some other reason. I will try again in summer holidays, it eats sooooo much time and effort to figure these things out!

Doormandean

As there is already a thread on this, I need some advice also...

I'm trying to enable a 2 user zoom meeting to broadcast to YouTube, and while I can get the visuals fine, either the sound isn't there, or is hugely out of sync
OBS seems to be capturing the direct feed from my mic and not the feed through zoom.

My zoom settings are:

Microphone - my mixer that my sennheiser goes through
Speaker - IShowU audio capture

OBS settings are:
Device: iShowU Audio Capture

Desktop audio device: Disabled
Desktop Audio Device 2: Disabled
Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device: (My mixer with mic)
Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device 2: iShowU Audio Capture
Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device 3: Disabled

Audio Midi Setup:
Multi Output Device:
Master Device: iShowU Audio Capture

and selected are Built in Output and iShowU Audio Capture both with Drift Correction

Sound Preferences:
Input: iShowU Audio Capture
Output: Multi Output Device

I have also 'started' Play-Thru

I've also installed SoundSource

Output: Multi Output device
Input: iShowU Audio Capture

I've been on this for hours since my last issue and it's driving me potty. Please help!

Heidi Hornlein

I seemed to have resolved it with a payed audio program called SoundSource. I had to stop testing for personal reasons some months ago, but I believe I succeeded to get the sound from zoom into OBS with that one. Try and let me know how you are getting on.

Doormandean

I seemed to have resolved it with a payed audio program called SoundSource. I had to stop testing for personal reasons some months ago, but I believe I succeeded to get the sound from zoom into OBS with that one. Try and let me know how you are getting on.

I noticed you thought you'd almost got it, I too have Soundsource and am getting no-where :(

Heidi Hornlein

Hi there, I am back - and finally seem to have resolved the audio problem, at leaST IT WORKED FINE SEVERAL TIMES, WHILE THE LAST 2 TIMES I had a double voice sound from the Zoom room.

Apart from that: The image wnich comes from Zoom to OBS is flickering, 3-4 times a minute. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks for the help
Heidi

reders

I'm trying to record in OBS with one person on a local web cam and the other person on Zoom.
I'm trying soundsource but cannot seem to get the zoom visitors sound into OBS.

Please can you help or send screen shots of how you have configured OBS and SoundSource?

Thanks in advance
Sean

Heidi Hornlein

I guess that it would be better if both of you were in Zoom, but I don't know.

Soundsource with playthrough worked for me, but there are a lot of settings to consider, the ones in zoom on the bottom left (chose the right output) and also on your computer to avoid that there is an echo. But normally you will here your voice twice in your earphones, which is annoying.
I personally have given up to try to steram Zoom meetings as I never could figure out the right audio settings. My audio was always much louder than that of the other people in Zoom.

Good luck
Heidi