How much performance improvement should I expect in Windows Bootcamp vs MACOS on the same machine?

FerretBomb

It's more about the compatibility than performance gains; the 'heavy' part of streaming is the h.264 encoding generally-speaking, and the x264 stack is pretty equally optimized both on Windows and MacOS.

But you'll have access to a larger variety of devices (capture cards especially), and not have to resort to workarounds due to dumb Apple decisions (like audio capture). You'll also have a larger number of plugins to choose from; far as I'm aware, there are a number that simply don't have a MacOS-compatible version available.

Youtube - Cxmic

Logs
On mac it feels just too slow for the desired 1080p 30fps.

Attachments

• 2020-10-04_15-20-31 (1).txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2020-10-04_15-20-31.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 22

Youtube - Cxmic

It's more about the compatibility than performance gains; the 'heavy' part of streaming is the h.264 encoding generally-speaking, and the x264 stack is pretty equally optimized both on Windows and MacOS.

But you'll have access to a larger variety of devices (capture cards especially), and not have to resort to workarounds due to dumb Apple decisions (like audio capture). You'll also have a larger number of plugins to choose from; far as I'm aware, there are a number that simply don't have a MacOS-compatible version available.
Will switching to windows help he here? Is QSV going to be better?

Attachments

• 2020-10-04_15-20-31.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 12

Tangential

To some extent it depends on whether it is a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro. With a Mac Pro and windows you have the flexibility to dramatically upgrade the GPU and that makes a huge difference in OBS for both rendering and encoding. I wouldn't expect as great a gain with a notebook. As mentioned above audio is also easier. You don't need Virtual Cables and good knowledge of Audio MIDI setup just to connect things.

I was considering doing this with one of my MBPs and I finally decided to just spend $275 on a used i7 HP zBook with a decent NVIDIA card and 32G ram and an SSD. I only use it for OBS and it made my life a lot easier. I even drive a lot of my content from my MBP to the Notebook via an HDMI encoder.