How many audio inputs can OBS support in the mixer?

DamianKaelGreen

I spent all day yesterday trying different ways to integrate three and four microphones into my studio mix, but no matter what I tried, I was only ever able to get two working at once. I know that Windows was recognizing them, and I could get all of them to work independently through OBS by disabling all but two (within OBS), but I could not find a way to get three to be included in the mix at the same time.

Now, I know that what I could do, as a fairly simple solution, would be to use another audio processing device outside my computer to combine multiple inputs, but that's not the point. Really, I would just like to determine if this is a known (and possibly intentional) limitation of OBS to only mix two audio sources at a time to improve efficiency, or is it some other mis-configuration or hardware issue with my computer that I am having.

Does anyone know anything about this?

My log files show errors like this when OBS gets to initializing the third Audio input: [WASAPISource::TryInitialize]:[Mic in at front panel (Green) (Realtek(R) Audio)] Failed to get initialize audio client: 8007001F

Here's my last log:

Thanks, Damian

laviniaeastwood

Did you ever get an answer on this? We are having similar issues - using 2 audio mixers to stream 4 microphones through oBS via BigMarker webinar platform, but it is not picking up the second audio mixer at all - sounds fine in tests, through headphones but once we are streaming live, you cannot hear the 3rd/4th microphones. Any ideas welcome!

Tomasz Góral

It's look like sound card problems, not with OBS.
I remove global audio sources myself and always add them manually to each scene to keep them under control. I connected 4 audio sources and did not notice any problems.

DamianKaelGreen

Truthfully, I sort of gave up trying to solve this, and I can't remember everything I tried exactly, however there are some things I think I may not have tried that may help you:

1) You can control/define the input and output devices for any particular app in Windows under: Settings -> Sound -> Advanced sound options: App Volume and device preferences. Here you can define a particular input, or a sound card mix as an input to a particular app (this can get hairy though when switching between programs, from Zoom to OBS for example).

2) You should be able to configure your audio mix devices somewhat through your sound card controller, in my case I have reasonable control through "Realtek Audio Control". (and I think perhaps this is where my limitation of only two mic inputs might be too.)

3) You may also have to "Open Volume Mixer" and adjust levels by right clicking on the speaker icon in your system tray.

Again, I'm saying all this from memory, so I might have it all wrong, but it may also give you some ideas...