Question / Help how do you actually stream at TRUE 60 fps 100% of the time?

Elixerin

hello OBS community, i need some assistance in trying to isolate problems in my last stream(s). I posted a log below of my last stream and i noticed in the video on twitch it was a bit choppy so i went in my log and found
14:27:12.258: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 766/11103 (6.9%)

when im playing and streaming my cpu avgs 60-70 so how could i be having encoding lag? i also cap in game frame rate to monitors refresh if that means anything at all, thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: ive done another stream with the same weird issue, CPU encoding overall cpu usage avging 60-70% but on stream sometimes it displays "true" 60 fps and sometimes its like a "choppy" version of 60 fps if that makes any sense, ive updated the log to most recent stream with video below, thanks in advance for any assistance on my endeavor

example here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/310066725, to show exactly what i mean it happens at 11:42 where it gets awkwardly choppy, and then at around 12:05 it smooths out and starts displaying real 60 fps. hope someone can understand where im coming from and how this is problematic, that time stamp was just one example but it happened all throughout the stream. during the whole 45 minutes that i streamed the cpu usage didnt top 80% once, nor did my game lag or anything. its just OBS for some reason. Also no skipped frames when i was viewing it via twitch, and 16:02:42.190: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 133 (0.1%) shows that my network was up to speed during stream (relatively with 133 frames lagged it shouldn't be making that big of an impact visual wise and on the contrary, its completely visible and kinda ugly). ALSO, i know my GPU isn't the issue here cause it barely goes passed 35% usage and i dont encode with it (obs)

Attachments

• 2018-09-14 14-42-44.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

BK-Morpheus

As I get the same problem, I'm interested, if any one finds a solution.
In my case it's pretty similar...just streaming/recording Rocket League at 60fps 720p x264 very fast.
CPU load never exceeds 50% per core (most of the time only 25% overall on Ryzen 8 Cores/16Threads), FPS limited, so my GTX1070 is running at loads between 50-60% including OBS rendering.
Both monitors running 60Hz and log shows no rendering lag, no encoding lag and no bandwidth problems (happens also on local recordings).
Still once in a while (could be after 15mins of recording, or 30mins of recording) there is a section between 1-3minutes, where the Video/Stream is not smooth (looking like 56fps or so) and after that time, it's running totally smooth again.

BK-Morpheus

At least your log shows some small problems, where others don't.
You should disable Win10 Game DVR and your GPU peaks at 100% load at times, that's why 182 frames were not rendered fast enough.
Your CPU is also hitting limits (only 10/29581 frames).

Your scene is full of game_capture sources (I count 6), you could clean up that mess and use just one game_capture source for all games that the game_capture can grab.

Last edited:

Elixerin

At least your log shows some small problems, where others don't.
You should disable Win10 Game DVR and your GPU peaks at 100% load at times, that's why 182 frames were not rendered fast enough.
Your CPU is also hitting limits (only 10/29581 frames).

Your scene is full of game_capture sources (I count 6), you could clean up that mess and use just one game_capture source for all games that the game_capture can grab.
okay, i created one source and made it a full screen application capture instead of capture each specific window for each game, also went in to regedit and disabled gamedvr, will get back to you with another stream log.

Elixerin

As I get the same problem, I'm interested, if any one finds a solution.
In my case it's pretty similar...just streaming/recording Rocket League at 60fps 720p x264 very fast.
CPU load never exceeds 50% per core (most of the time only 25% overall on Ryzen 8 Cores/16Threads), FPS limited, so my GTX1070 is running at loads between 50-60% including OBS rendering.
Both monitors running 60Hz and log shows no rendering lag, no encoding lag and no bandwidth problems (happens also on local recordings).
Still once in a while (could be after 15mins of recording, or 30mins of recording) there is a section between 1-3minutes, where the Video/Stream is not smooth (looking like 56fps or so) and after that time, it's running totally smooth again.
its so weird, glad its not just me. def not some placebo effect either when its that noticable

Lapppy

Yeah. I have had this issue for 3-4 years and have since learned to deal with it cause there is no guaranteed fix.
https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...preview-which-goes-into-recorded-videos.77744
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/frame-rate-is-cut-in-half-stutters-every-10-minutes.39269