How can I use OBS virtual cam (with plugin) in bigbluebutton?

dolph_i

Hi all,
I am not sure, if I am in the right spot here?!
Since I am pretty new to OBS studio and this is my first thread, I am not that familiar with everything.
Here is my issue...
I tried to use the Virtual Webcam Plugin in Adobe Connect and BigBlueButton. Adobe Connect worked quite well. I had set up a live scene using the croma key filter and had selected the OBS Camera, which was given as one of the webcams, as I had expected.
But, when I was trying to use it in BigBlueButton, the OBS Camera didn't appear. I just got my hw-webcams, but no virtual cam to choose from.
Does anybody has an idea, what I need to do to get the virtual OBS Camera selectable in BigBlueButton?
Thanks in advance.
cheers
dolph

ChristianS

Hi Dolph_i,

I use BigBlueButton integrated in Moodle, on my Mac. I noticed OBS Virtual Cam does not appear while using Safari, but works well with Chrome.

HTH.
PS: Since I also insert Safari captures in my scenes, I finally find it convenient to use two different browsers: this separates better the program composition side and the conference side.
PPS: Oh, and BTW, I find it important to start your workflow FROM the video conferencing tool, then define a consistent OBS "Profile", and then start to compose scenes. This ensures you have all the right resolutions/size, while starting composing the scenes, and then going back to the upper level can lead to inconsistancies.

As I am a beginner too, I fought with this quite a lot while deciding to switch from Zoom to BBB...

Last edited:

Klaus Becker

Hi,

on my Macbook pro 15" 2013 the OBS logo and video is scrambled, when I select the virtual cam in BBB. See attached picture.
Everything works fine in MS Teams.
I tried Chrome and Firefox. During testing i was working once, when I tested with chrome the first time.
I deleted the cam driver in terminal and reinstalled it, but no way to get it work again.
I'm not sure but maybe it worked before the update of OBS 26 (25 before)

Any Ideas?

Best regards

Klaus

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-01 um 20.22.11.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-01 um 20.22.11.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,159