Question / Help HotKeys stopped working with an update of OBS

Niklas Sahlin

This is the same problem windows users have also.
I have in the settings "never disable hotkeys" but as soon I have OBS Studio in active window some of the hotkeys stop working.
And if a activate a another application, all Hotkeys start working again.
Also if i use my Streamdeck I need to activate another application to ensure all Hotkeys to work.
Very frustrating...

VSWFrank

MAC USERS: (SOLUTION)

You have to reapply the permissions to the app. The OBS.app listed under Input Monitoring, Accessibility, etc. is not the literal app itself. It’s a shortcut of sorts. Read on:

Mac is weird. I already had OBS listed under the required security permissions and the hotkeys still weren’t working. However when I first downloaded the app I noticed that the app “shortcut” and the app itself were two different entities. I had already pinned the app to my dock, but when I opened it, another OBS icon popped up next to it in the dock. So I deleted the old one and pinned the one that popped up... And that is where this solution’s inspiration came from. If this doesn’t work, I’m dumbfounded, cause I tried everything in these responses as well.

Quick note:
I have had all sorts of issues setting up OBS through my iMac Pro using an Apollo X6 audio interface... everything from setting up the audio correctly to getting screen capture to work, and even this exact problem with hotkeys. I’ve found fixes to them all. Here’s what I did for hotkey universal usage, and there are only three major steps that I will go over in detail...
Also, I don’t know if this happens with other apps as well, but just because your Security & Privacy says your OBS app has permissions doesn’t mean it’s actually allowing those permissions to the app itself. Give this a try. Believe me, I know it’s weird but it worked magically when I did this.

Make sure you can access “Applications” in Finder

Open up Finder and see if there is a tab on the left side called “Applications”. If it’s already there, you can skip this step. Otherwise, do the following:
  • Open Finder if it’s not already open.
  • Click the Finder tab at the top-left of the screen, and open Preferences.
  • Click the Sidebar tab at the top if it’s not already selected.
  • Check the box next to Applications.
(You can follow the same steps to hide it again if you don’t like having it on your Finder all the time. I personally hide it. Just come back and uncheck if desired.)

Reapply permissions within Security & Privacy

• Open System Preferences.
  • Click Security & Privacy.
  • Navigate to the Privacy tab.
  • In the list of options on the left, click Input Monitoring.
  • In the box to the right, you should see the sources that your Mac permits to use input monitoring. If OBS is already listed within the box on the right, there is no need to delete it, but we are going to replace it with the TRUE application.
  • Click the lock at the bottom of the window and enter your password if prompted (If it’s already unlocked, skip this step).
  • Click the “+” at the bottom of the list of apps.
  • When the window pops up, click Applications. If your left bar is hidden, idk lol, look for it.
  • Scroll down the list until you find OBS.app and double-click it.
  • It will look as if the list hasn’t changed. However, the re-application of permissions to the app itself was just completed. And though it had the same name as the other OBS.app that was previously listed, it wasn’t targeting the app itself that you run. It was targeting some pseudo-shortcut like version of the app that acts as a run command for the app. It’s strange, I don’t fully understand why this happens either.
  • Repeat these steps for the Accessibility tab.
Feel free to do the same for all of the other things OBS uses.

Now check to see if your hotkeys work both inside and outside of OBS. If they do, gratz! I’m just as baffled as you are! If they still don’t work, you may need to verify that your options are set correctly within OBS. Other people have suggested this in previous replies, but just in case you missed it:

Verifying OBS Hotkey Settings
  • Open OBS.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click the Hotkeys tab.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list and check the current setting for Hotkey Focus Behavior. It should be set to “Never Disable Hotkeys” unless you have specific needs and know what you’re doing.
If this doesn’t work, I’m truly lost, because I tried everything else, but once I re-set the permissions for OBS, the hotkeys worked beautifully.

My setup:
- iMac Pro
- Apollo x6 Audio Interface
- Manley Ref-C Microphone
- Razer Kiyo

Last edited:

mjunkroski

THANK YOU! I have been searching for the solution to this annoyance for months. What a bizarre anomaly. Thanks for your excellent investigative work.

Captain3D

Does not work on M1 mac mini. I even deleted in system preferences and re added. At that point I got a message saying OBS would not be able to access the keyboard commands until it was closed and restarted. I thought this was good news confirming the connection but after it relaunched hotkeys still do not work.

phil

HeckaNice

MAC USERS: (SOLUTION)

You have to reapply the permissions to the app. The OBS.app listed under Input Monitoring, Accessibility, etc. is not the literal app itself. It’s a shortcut of sorts. Read on:

Mac is weird. I already had OBS listed under the required security permissions and the hotkeys still weren’t working. However when I first downloaded the app I noticed that the app “shortcut” and the app itself were two different entities. I had already pinned the app to my dock, but when I opened it, another OBS icon popped up next to it in the dock. So I deleted the old one and pinned the one that popped up... And that is where this solution’s inspiration came from. If this doesn’t work, I’m dumbfounded, cause I tried everything in these responses as well.

Quick note:
I have had all sorts of issues setting up OBS through my iMac Pro using an Apollo X6 audio interface... everything from setting up the audio correctly to getting screen capture to work, and even this exact problem with hotkeys. I’ve found fixes to them all. Here’s what I did for hotkey universal usage, and there are only three major steps that I will go over in detail...
Also, I don’t know if this happens with other apps as well, but just because your Security & Privacy says your OBS app has permissions doesn’t mean it’s actually allowing those permissions to the app itself. Give this a try. Believe me, I know it’s weird but it worked magically when I did this.

Make sure you can access “Applications” in Finder

Open up Finder and see if there is a tab on the left side called “Applications”. If it’s already there, you can skip this step. Otherwise, do the following:
  • Open Finder if it’s not already open.
  • Click the Finder tab at the top-left of the screen, and open Preferences.
  • Click the Sidebar tab at the top if it’s not already selected.
  • Check the box next to Applications.
(You can follow the same steps to hide it again if you don’t like having it on your Finder all the time. I personally hide it. Just come back and uncheck if desired.)

Reapply permissions within Security & Privacy

• Open System Preferences.
  • Click Security & Privacy.
  • Navigate to the Privacy tab.
  • In the list of options on the left, click Input Monitoring.
  • In the box to the right, you should see the sources that your Mac permits to use input monitoring. If OBS is already listed within the box on the right, there is no need to delete it, but we are going to replace it with the TRUE application.
  • Click the lock at the bottom of the window and enter your password if prompted (If it’s already unlocked, skip this step).
  • Click the “+” at the bottom of the list of apps.
  • When the window pops up, click Applications. If your left bar is hidden, idk lol, look for it.
  • Scroll down the list until you find OBS.app and double-click it.
  • It will look as if the list hasn’t changed. However, the re-application of permissions to the app itself was just completed. And though it had the same name as the other OBS.app that was previously listed, it wasn’t targeting the app itself that you run. It was targeting some pseudo-shortcut like version of the app that acts as a run command for the app. It’s strange, I don’t fully understand why this happens either.
  • Repeat these steps for the Accessibility tab.
Feel free to do the same for all of the other things OBS uses.

Now check to see if your hotkeys work both inside and outside of OBS. If they do, gratz! I’m just as baffled as you are! If they still don’t work, you may need to verify that your options are set correctly within OBS. Other people have suggested this in previous replies, but just in case you missed it:

Verifying OBS Hotkey Settings
  • Open OBS.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click the Hotkeys tab.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list and check the current setting for Hotkey Focus Behavior. It should be set to “Never Disable Hotkeys” unless you have specific needs and know what you’re doing.
If this doesn’t work, I’m truly lost, because I tried everything else, but once I re-set the permissions for OBS, the hotkeys worked beautifully.

My setup:
- iMac Pro
- Apollo x6 Audio Interface
- Manley Ref-C Microphone
- Razer Kiyo

I ran through these steps and find myself still facing the same problem. I initially (successfully) had hotkeys set and working, but not globally. Went looking for an answer to that, and somehow in the meantime lost all hotkey functionality. I've tried following this list, but I don't find any secondary OBS app, even when searching the applications folder for 'OBS.app' I get the one and only. I really appreciate this list, but it doesn't seem to have worked for me. Alas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: I'm on an m1 Mac mini, big sur, for reference

mhgsimoes

Hi! Same problem here, but I think I found out when exactly the problem occurs.
It seems to me that shortcuts stop working from the moment I focus on some password field in the browser.

I was recording a video and every time I focused on the password field it would stop working immediately.

Still don't know how to solve this issue, but at least now I know when the problem occurs.

verstaerker-583

Hi! Same here with a brand new 13" MacBook Pro M1 - BigSur and OBS 26.1.2
Hotkeys do no longer work when OBS is not in focus and - even worse - even when in focus, after about 5 keypresses, OBS seems to receive multiple and random keypresses - total chaos with my entirely by hotkeys controlled scene collections.

fredrik-wendt

After upgrading to 26.1.2, there's no change. After the installation and a first launch, I removed the permissions (screen record and input control). Upon relaunching, I was prompted to open System Preferences and add them, which I did and relaunched as I was prompted to do so (so twice, once per permission).

Still no luck.

I'm using a USB connected Apple keyboard, and I get the same results if I'm using the laptop's keyboard (I've set pressing the F1 button to NOT dim light, but to work as a Fn button).

Modifier buttons seems broken, even when the OBS window is focused.

None of the F1-F12 keys trigger the Hotkey action (I'm only switching scenes) if there was ANY modifier included in the configuration (Shift, Alt, Command), such as '^F1'.

The Control and Shift modifier key seems to be completely ignored. If I configure a hotkey to 'F1', it triggers regardless if I keep the Control (or Shift, Alt, Command) key pressed or not.

friscoimai

also on a new mac mini m1 big sur. my hotkeys work perfectly fine but not when obs is running "non active" in the background.... very annoying. it worked perfectly for me on my old mac.

jbmath

This isn't a permanent solution, but it's a temporary fix on my M1 MacBook Air. My solution requires a MacOS equivalent to AutoHotKey -- I'm using Keyboard Maestro. Costs $30, but it's worth it for so many other reasons. I think there are free alternatives. Anyway...

I saw on another forum that function keys still work as OBS hotkeys as long as MacOS uses function keys by default (i.e., you don't have to click "fn" first). I confirmed that this is true inside of OBS, but not while in other application. So, I have Keyboard Maestro send my keystroke to OBS in the background, and it works perfectly. Here's a screenshot of the macro in Keyboard Maestro (F1 is the button I press, F5 the actual OBS hotkey):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.03.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.03.46 PM.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 131

jbmath

I saw on another forum that function keys still work as OBS hotkeys as long as MacOS uses function keys by default (i.e., you don't have to click "fn" first).
Scratch that, it will still work if you have to press "fn" first.

tauren

Chiming in to confirm this as well. M1 Mac Mini running OBS 26.1.2 installed via Homebrew. Made sure to re-add OBS to Input Monitoring and Accessibility apps within Privacy preferences. Hotkeys work great when OBS is focused. But click away and no hotkeys work. I've tried with and without key modifiers (cmd, etc).

friscoimai

This isn't a permanent solution, but it's a temporary fix on my M1 MacBook Air. My solution requires a MacOS equivalent to AutoHotKey -- I'm using Keyboard Maestro. Costs $30, but it's worth it for so many other reasons. I think there are free alternatives. Anyway...

I saw on another forum that function keys still work as OBS hotkeys as long as MacOS uses function keys by default (i.e., you don't have to click "fn" first). I confirmed that this is true inside of OBS, but not while in other application. So, I have Keyboard Maestro send my keystroke to OBS in the background, and it works perfectly. Here's a screenshot of the macro in Keyboard Maestro (F1 is the button I press, F5 the actual OBS hotkey):

thanks for this. if they dont fix it i might consider that.... :)
man they HAVE to fix it. it will probably be fixed with a m1 native version

spetey

I had this same issue, but the solution I eventually stumbled on was different, so I thought I'd add it here in case it helps others.

For those using USB keyboards

I was using a USB keyboard with my Mac laptop. I would add the key preferences as "command-shift-[key]", using the "Alt" on the Windows keyboard as "command". But then it only worked when I used "option-shift-[key]", or the "Win" key on the Windows keyboard.

So I ended up adding the shortcuts as "option-shift-[key]" (using the "Win" key on my USB keyboard), so that I could use them as "command-shift-[key]" (using "Alt" on my USB keyboard), as I desired.

I'm not sure where the bug here lies, whether with OBS or how Mac handles USB keyboards, but at least it works.

Celso Nobre

Please ensure OBS has permissions to access your microphone & capture devices.

1) Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
2) Click the icon labelled Security & Privacy.
3) Click the Privacy tab at the top.
4) In the lefthand column, click on 'Microphone', 'Camera', or 'Screen recording' to manage app permissions. There should also be one for Keyboard or similar, that one is used for hotkeys.
5) Tick the box for OBS

Thanks. Now it is working. Rgds

T_I_T_U_S

ACTUAL SOLUTION (hopefully for you too)
After days of looking through forums, and doing stupid permissions things that were not the problem, I decided one last time to try different key commands.
I found out that key commands with 'command', 'option', 'control', and 'shift' do not work.
For whatever reason, key commands have to be ONLY letters, ex: Q, D, M, (etc.).
Before, I was doing 'shift' 'command' Y for a hotkey, but this does not work. Any hotkey with in that format will not work.
USEABLE HOTKEYS, that I know of
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K